Walmart self check-outs................

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Every time I go to checkout at Walmart it is either a long wait, as very few human checkouts anymore, or go struggle to self-check out myself. I am getting better, but still hate it. Does anybody like the self checkouts?

jltrent":3rru45ic said:
Every time I go to checkout at Walmart it is either a long wait, as very few maned checkouts anymore, or go struggle to self-check out myself. I am getting better, but still hate it. Does anybody like the self checkouts?

I love them. Here at Maysville very few people use self check. I think they are too lazy.

Bright Raven":1688vtcr said:
jltrent":1688vtcr said:
Every time I go to checkout at Walmart it is either a long wait, as very few maned checkouts anymore, or go struggle to self-check out myself. I am getting better, but still hate it. Does anybody like the self checkouts?

I love them. Here at Maysville very few people use self check. I think they are too lazy.

Maybe their EBT cards aren't compatable.

TennesseeTuxedo":qa0xtwrj said:
Bright Raven":qa0xtwrj said:
jltrent":qa0xtwrj said:

Maybe their EBT cards aren't compatable.

I wondered about that. My guess is that an EBT card can only be tendered by a clerk.

I like them if I only have a few items. If I have a cart full of groceries, I find it time consuming and awkward because the area just left of the scanner is very small and not much room to try to use more than one bag at a time, unlike the rotating bag holder at the clerk assisted checkout. I usually end up with a bunch of half filled bags instead of fewer completely filled ones.

Success seems to depend on the scanners involved. Some aren't fast readers and you have to go slow and deliberate. Others are super fast and if you go slow it rings up twice. In the same boat you have the one that does it quick and quiet and you scan an item several times before you realize it has been scanning all along. I guess their are still some out their that tell you to bag the item, but if you remove the bag for a new one you've messed it up. Another thing one has to do is be darn sure it has a ledgable code....course that helps at any checkout.

Bright Raven":3hopkykc said:
I wondered about that. My guess is that an EBT card can only be tendered by a clerk.

Not here. It's computerized and the machine will tell those folks how much money they need to pay for items that don't qualify.

Yep the self checkout will tender any form of payment. It's a product of technology and the machine is a whole lot smarter than the avg cashier. It also has to do with labor bring the most controllable expense , the biggest waste of payroll is cashiers . You have a labor plan that predicts the labor needed during peak times which is only a few hours a day. You can not get help that only wants to come in at 4pm and leave at 6pm after the rush is over so you have to schedule min of 4 hrs so 2 hrs x 6 or 8 cashiers is technically wasted.

I kinda feel bad for the cashiers as it has to be demoralizing to be checking people out, and across from them people are doing it them-self. I am sure they are wondering how much longer they will have a job.

Also they never get a break as Walmart always have minimum cashiers available checking out now. I have a couple neighbors that work really hard as cashiers at Walmart and been there along time, I hope Walmart takes care of them.

I like them for a few items like GB said. I can check myself and be gone in less time than it takes to wait in line for the others. It won't be but a few years until there's more self checkout than people. I saw where amazon was trying something like it in a store

I have a problem with Wal-Mart period a company earnings that would be rated in the top 30 countries GDP.
It also rivals major oil companies and they refuse to pay a living wage or benefits.
Their customer service sucks.

Bright Raven":1e5o79vr said:
jltrent":1e5o79vr said:

I wont use them at all, and has nothing to do with being lazy ! I don't use the drive through at fast foods either and I don't go through the drive through at banks. when I do business with a place I expect it to have a real person to talk to me one on one , face to face. I also don't do text if a person cant talk one on one with me we don't do business. We are raising, the way I see it, a generation of people that cant have a friendly one on one conversation with a stranger anymore. So no I wont use the self check outs, and when I check out any place I make it a point to say something good to who ever is working. and most of the time they are smiling when I walk away.
do what works for you but that's the way I do it.

BRYANT":29tc4d11 said:
Bright Raven":29tc4d11 said:
jltrent":29tc4d11 said:

I wont use them at all, and has nothing to do with being lazy ! I don't use the drive through at fast foods either and I don't go through the drive through at banks. when I do business with a place I expect it to have a real person to talk to me one on one , face to face. I also don't do text if a person cant talk one on one with me we don't do business. We are raising, the way I see it, a generation of people that cant have a friendly one on one conversation with a stranger anymore. So no I wont use the self check outs, and when I check out any place I make it a point to say something good to who ever is working. and most of the time they are smiling when I walk away.
do what works for you but that's the way I do it.

I like your philosophy. When I am out, I try to laugh or use humor to contribute to others having a good day. It works. There is a stocking guy at the meat area at Krogers. When we see each other we both smile because we are anticipating the crazy fun we have.

I refuse to use the self-check out as gas stations though. They opened up a big new one at 59 & 37 and they were trying to get every one to use them. I politely asked to just check me out normal because I was in a hurry. The person said it will just take a second. I said no thank you, again, then I asked if they could just check me out like normal and they said no. I sat all my stuff on the counter and started walking off. They hollered for me to come back and just checked me out. I haven't been back in there.

At our local Walmart, there is usually only 1-or 2 checkouts open, especially in the evenings. Seems like there is usually somebody at the self checkouts but not near as many as you would think when the 1 cashier lane is backed up dang nigh to the door on the other side. For a few years the self checkouts here were closed down, the story I heard was that it was due to shoplifting.
I personally hate the self checkouts,
I was furious when the service stations started going to prepay or credit card at the pump.

Pay at pump doesn't bother me except for when I can't get a receipt. I think if they can't print a receipt at the pump then they shouldn't be allowed to take your payment there

Latest posts