Waiting to sell cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
With the cattle prices off trying to make desision on when to sell. Called the barn today recommended to wait three weeks or until Feburary to sell. They said money would be stable,feed cheaper and the election over also the feed lots are down and will need cattle. Was sure they would be back like they were in June.
This sound ok. Will it happen ?

hillrancher":ryl9fezh said:
With the cattle prices off trying to make desision on when to sell. Called the barn today recommended to wait three weeks or until Feburary to sell. They said money would be stable,feed cheaper and the election over also the feed lots are down and will need cattle. Was sure they would be back like they were in June.
This sound ok. Will it happen ?

Feeder calves? Next two weeks or forget it until mid-Jan at the earliest. At least it has been that way in the past.

The feeder calf market tanks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Put the pencil to the paper. Figure out what the cost is to feed the calves and the rate of gain expected. This cost should include:
vaccines
feed both home grown and bought and straw for bedding
tractor depreciation and maintenace and fuel costs
hydro to operate the waterer, if you have to plug in the tractor in the winter like we do
add in the cost if you have to clean the pens later on
mineral and salt

if you feel like it add in labour to
and finally a slight cost for drugs other than vaccines incase one gets sick...or if you lose one

then figure out the gain you hope they get, figure in the price you might get for them IF the market rebounds and subtract that from the price you would get now. Then subtract the cost to care for these animals until the anticipated time of sale. If you are in the red...sell now in the black, take a risk.

All about the paper and the pencil in this uncertain times.

Red Bull Breeder":2qowjszc said:
Got 35 weaned now and a few more to wean. I got grass and plenty of hay. So i am going to keep them a while.

We're doing the same thing. They're on a weaning grain ration and fescue pasture now. Next week the grain will be cut down and they'll be going out on a clover pasture.

I'm sitting on the fence too. I got plenty of hay and grazing will be plentiful soon so I guess I'll show a loss this year and pay taxes next.

Got hay, might have grazing after if rains more than a tenth of an inch sometime in the next 4 or 5 weeks :roll: so lets just say I have a bunch of hay. Been working on some partition fence that will give me the option to hold the calves longer on grass. But that will only work (this year) if it would rain.

Sound like we are all in the same boad or as Jog put it on the same fence.

Question:
I was asked yesterday if I would be Interested feeding a calf out and selling a half of beef to this family. I know some of you have done this, I was just wondering if you had good luck and what if any guide lines you make when you set up this contract? We have always feed and butchered one for ourselves but never done it for anyone else.

well i can tell yall this.we sent 6 heavy bulls to the sale yesterday.had 9 in the pen.but 3 an a cow jumped out of the back corral.the bull calves ave weight was 753lbs an ave .69 a lb.had 1 crazy mean calf in the bunch he brought .55 a lb.an he was the lightest bull at 710lbs.the prices was really in the mid 70s.

Red Bull Breeder":1hxdvybm said:
Got 35 weaned now and a few more to wean. I got grass and plenty of hay. So i am going to keep them a while.
That is the best thing to do for now...
I was at the Tulsa Sale yesterday.. had to be at least 3000 head there, maybe more. Lots of folks needing money I figure. I sold 3 head (two heifers, one bull calf) avg weight 593, avg price $80 for the hiefers, $93 for the bull calf. Not good, but I had to geet rid of those three.

Man this is a hard decision to make . We've had very little rain this year. We do have quite a bit of hay. But there is no grass left ,so the hay won't last long.
I heard yesterday,that if a person had the means to keep what he has and hold on to them until next year. The prices will go back up.
Sept.,we took a big loss on a couple of cows and a heifer. They were not the best cows thats why they took a ride. But dang it ,one we got 39 cents the other brought 55 . Both were 3 yr olds. The heifer was a midget,so I was suprised to get anything on her.
So after this shock to my system I decided I was not selling anything else this year.

Latest posts