Waiting on me

Help Support CattleToday:

oscarsteve

Reaction score
They were a little impatient with me today and were ready for their daily allotment. But, when I finally got the fence moved, I think they were enjoying it.

They should be very happy for quite a while it looks like. I always enjoy watching and listening to them after turning them into a field like that.

oscarsteve":1w7z906j said:
They were a little impatient with me today and were ready for their daily allotment. But, when I finally got the fence moved, I think they were enjoying it.

Will they eat all that mature ryegrass or do you let them eat what they want and then clip it?

Banjo: It's getting pretty mature. It's interesting to watch them go through when I open up a new section. On their first pass through, they're mainly just clipping the seed heads and top 6-9 inches. Then they work down from there on subsequent passes. Unfortunately, a lot gets trampled down as a result. I'm not too worried about that right now because I'm hoping to get them through all the paddocks (11 more to go) before it goes dormant. (But that looks like it'll take another 40 days to get through at the current pace.) Each 2-acre paddock is lasting 3-4 days (24 momma cows, 24 calves, and 4 heifers) . I don't think I'll have to mow because it's either being eaten down or trampled down low enough to allow Spring/Summer grasses to get going. I actually like the amount of residual that's left either from not being consumed or by being trampled because I think it's gonna help hold moisture. I debated speeding up the rotations some but have decided not to but, to stay on my regular schedule. This is my first year (started Jan. 1) with MIG. Really pleased with it so far. Everything is somewhat of a test/experiment. So, I want to see how things will work out, meaning: A) When will the winter grass go dormant, B) How much of the winter grass will they eat after it goes dormant, if any. C) what effect will it have on the Spring/summer grasses, D) How much moisture will the winter grass residual hold to benefit the Summer grasses when/if (Heaven forbid) the drought hits us again this summer.I guess whatever they don't eat after it goes dormant I'll clip. I already took 9 acres out of the rotation and baled hay on it.

Latest posts