Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Mowed some very nice hay yesterday and finsished right at dark so decided to wait till this morning to ted it. I just finsihed teffing it and the frame on the tedder broke. Crawling underneath I saw where it had been cracked for some time, just decided to finish the job today. # hours later had it fixed. Decided to finsih mowing the rest of the field I had started, around noon. Made 5 passes and I was engulfed in a cloud of smoke. Hauled the mower up to the hsoue. Last time that happened it was the belts that had gone bad. Dawned on me on the way up that I hadn;t retightened them recently. Open the cover over the belts and ball bearing started rolling out. Both main bearings had come apart. Permanantly lubed sealed bearings, what gives when they only last for 20 years before crapping out? Had to go buy bearings 50 miles away, also had to get an open end wrench to reach an odd sized nut to loosen things, 24mm isn;t a size that many places carry. At dark finally got the the ready to reinstall on the mower.
To top it all off I had forgeotten (neglected) to eat anything today and tonight was was too tired and hungry to eat. Wife had a kitten because I've lost another 5 pounds since saturday.

That should still be covered under warranty IMO 20 years just don't build stuff like they used to.
The happiest day of my life is when I sold all my hay equipment. Hay equipment can make a preacher cuss.
That Krone baler I owned could go FUBAR in a heart beat.
They only break down in the hay field.

Mr Dun, Your post brought a Paul Harvey quote to mind, from a speech he made to FFA.Think title was 'So God made a Farmer' (Best of luck with the rest of your hay season)
"I need somebody with arms strong enough to wrestle a calf and yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild; somebody to call hogs, tame cantankerous machinery, come home hungry, have to await lunch until his wife's done feeding visiting ladies, then tell the ladies to be sure and come back real soon, and mean it."—Paul Harvey

Hope things get better Dun and you'd better start listening to the misses and take care of yourself. She'll be sending you out the door with a sack lunch today I bet.

I agree with J&D. Take care of yourself. At the very least when I am out all day mowing, I take a couple of bagels with me. I leave them on the truck dash and they are nice and warm when I want one.

Yep gotta eat and take care of yourself.. If I don't eat I get a major headache... The same headache can be found when I was haying when crap continually broke.

Got it all put back together this morning. Amazing that I could find all the odd bits, i.e. bearings, bearing holders, snap rings, keys, etc. Had to special order a set of belts. none of the dealers that carry New Idea had any. JD ordered them from O'Reillys at noon today and they came in at 3.

couple weeks ago I busted both of my motorbikes in a day... On the "nice" bike 3rd gear in the tranny broke, it has to get totally stripped down to get to it, on the other I don't know what's going on with it.. it runs fine cold and when it warms up it starts detonating badly, even at idle.. change the plug, the coil, the fuel, cleaned carbs and nothing gives. We've all had those days!

Latest posts