wagyu

Help Support CattleToday:

The main negatives are low fertility and slow growth.

Ultrasound tests have actually shown Angus calves at a year to have more marbling than Wagyu. The main difference was the Wagyu were much smaller and less developed than their Angus counterparts.

I know one fellow who did what you are asking, he said the beef was good, but he did find the roasts a bit rich. The hamburger and steaks were super he said.

Jason

[email protected]

There is one BIG negative! and that is the reflection on your credibility as a beef producer. Anyone who chooses to breed cattle differently for his own table than he does for the general market, should immediately quit the business. If you don't believe in the value (as beef )of the cattle you produce, maybe you should be producing something else.

> There is one BIG negative! and
> that is the reflection on your
> credibility as a beef producer.
> Anyone who chooses to breed cattle
> differently for his own table than
> he does for the general market,
> should immediately quit the
> business. If you don't believe in
> the value (as beef )of the cattle
> you produce, maybe you should be
> producing something else.

Yours is a mighty harsh view and opinion. By way of example, if I want to raise tiger stripe heifers (or even, say pure grey Brahmas)in SE Texas to sell to the replacement market I can certainly be justified in also raising and feeding a few Angus for my table and that of my family. Or if I happen to sell Limo, Simmental, Charolais calves into a market or grid that pays me for yield as opposed to Angus type marbling I should feel good about that -- even if I want to raise Angus, Wagyu, Shorthorns or whatever for my own personal table! I think we should all raise whatever makes us the most money in our particular market and environment, but then eat what our own particular taste buds tell us to eat.

Guess you tend to forget why there is a beef industry, to produce BEEF. Sure, there are lots of other complications, still, that is the basis of our business, so at the risk of being "harsh", (sure hate to upset people who breed for fads rather than beef), I will repeat, IF YOU CAN'T SEE RAISING THE BEST BEEF, GET OUT, YOU (AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU) ARE A DRAG ON THE ENTIRE BEEF INDUSTRY.

Will temper my remarks, somewhat, luckily we live in a free society and are free to breed as bad and as unpalatable cattle as you may desire, Thank God for that!

I raise angus , Black Angus, or crosses because that is what the market in my area likes. That does not make them the best only what is desired in my area.. The market is subject to change, at least that way in the last 30 years that I have see it. I also know what the market wants is not always what I want on my table, so (set it straight) what you raise may not be what I want to eat..Open minds is why the beef and it raisers have survived...

[email protected]

Sorry to hear you don't believe in Angus, as a matter of fact, I don't either.

> Guess you tend to forget why there
> is a beef industry, to produce
> BEEF. Sure, there are lots of
> other complications, still, that
> is the basis of our business, so
> at the risk of being
> "harsh", (sure hate to
> upset people who breed for fads
> rather than beef), I will repeat,
> IF YOU CAN'T SEE RAISING THE BEST
> BEEF, GET OUT, YOU (AND PEOPLE
> LIKE YOU) ARE A DRAG ON THE ENTIRE
> BEEF INDUSTRY.

> Will temper my remarks, somewhat,
> luckily we live in a free society
> and are free to breed as bad and
> as unpalatable cattle as you may
> desire, Thank God for that!

Simply stated, you are just plain wrong. How about climbing down and stopping your pontificating?

Showing my southern roots or is that my Missouri heritage (show me). I must be pretty slow because seriously, I just can't seem to figure out the benefit of raising cattle that you don't believe in. Please! explain to me the rational for producing products that are "less than the best". Maybe I will see the error of my ways and purchase my next Ford Pickup from a man who drives a Chevy.

> I raise angus , Black Angus, or
> crosses because that is what the
> market in my area likes. That does
> not make them the best only what
> is desired in my area.. The market
> is subject to change, at least
> that way in the last 30 years that
> I have see it. I also know what
> the market wants is not always
> what I want on my table, so (set
> it straight) what you raise may
> not be what I want to eat..Open
> minds is why the beef and it
> raisers have survived...

Amen on raising what the public wants! The job for us that raise the more uncommon breeds, is to convice the public that ours is better. The Angus industry has done a wonderful job convincing the public that their beef is much superior to others. My hats off to them, however I do not agree on the superiority of Angus beef. That just a matter of opinion. We raise Texas Longhorns on a small scale. I have developed my market for flavorful and lean beef to the point that I don't think I will be able to meet my customer's needs next year. We are considering doing some cross breeding to improve growth and muscle while retaining leaness. If we do the cross, the first one will be for our table and some samples given to past customers for their critique. If it meets my and the customers approval, we will continue the program. As far as the small time producer ruining the market for the large producer, I don't think so! If we do good. No offense intended to the large producer that is raising quality beef, but just tired of the junk beef that is promoted as quality in the large supermarkets. Many of the younger gerneration have never tasted quality beef.

Next time you sell at the locale producer's auction barn just do the math and see what you got per pound of finished meat. Go to the supermarket and buy a steak. Tell me who is getting the money? I would like to know? It sure wasn't you.

[email protected]

Hey man, just breed what ever you want to breed, 8 out of ten people in the board think Angus meat is better, but the only thing that Angus beef has is more fat comparing it with other breeds that have better quality meat, So just raise what ever you think is better for you.

> What are the negatives of this
> breed?and is there any opinion on
> breeding a couple cows to this
> breed for personel eating purpose.

[email protected]

we had cross Belgians with Brahamn and Simbrah, we didn't get the results we needed (we sell our steers after weaning, 10 months) we kept some heifers. With our BB crosses we saw diference in weight after two years.

> SDo what do you know about Wagyu,
> Belgian Blues. How about angus and
> Belgian Blue cross.

[email protected]

Latest posts