wagyu

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I realize that they are advertising on here but I just don't see the attraction of having a hatch azz bull .

It got to be for folks that live close to a big city and can direct sale.

Their muscle is highly marbled. The market for them is based on crossing them with other breeds to capitalize on the marbling they bring into the cross. Their meat is highly valued. Very expensive to buy.

Bright Raven":1qspa4ih said:
Their muscle is highly marbled. The market for them is based on crossing them with other breeds to capitalize on the marbling they bring into the cross. Their meat is highly valued. Very expensive to buy.
Maybe that's what your new heifer is striking resemblance

Bet many of these wagyu beef ended up as dog food after laying around unsold at the supermarkets.

Muddy":13jaiolk said:
Bet many of these wagyu beef ended up as dog food after laying around unsold at the supermarkets.

Muddy,
I bet they sell only in specialty restaurants in the USA. The Japanese favor marbling more than the USA. It was that way here until the medical institutions promoted lean meat as being more healthy. In my father's generation, the 1920s, the fattest piece of meat on the platter was the one sought. Whether it was steak, beef roast or pork loin.

Bright Raven":28heu4zs said:
Muddy":28heu4zs said:

Muddy,
I bet they sell only in specialty restaurants in the USA. The Japanese favor marbling more than the USA. It was that way here until the medical institutions promoted lean meat as being more healthy. In my father's generation, the 1920s, the fattest piece of meat on the platter was the one sought. Whether it was steak, beef roast or pork loin.
Seen wagyu beef being sold in supermarkets so I don't know where you got the fact that it's only sold at specialty restaurants.

Muddy":iv7imj83 said:
Bright Raven":iv7imj83 said:
Muddy":iv7imj83 said:

Muddy,
Seen wagyu beef being sold in supermarkets so I don't know where you got the fact that it's only sold at specialty restaurants.

Does a lot of it in your area go to dog food because it does not sell? If so, suggests the seller does not understand their market demand.

I'm sure a good portion does go to rendering plant. You would be astonished buy the waste in grocery stores all because of gov regulations . I've had to pour bleach on hundreds of pounds of meat that was nothing wrong with but as usual good ol .gov.

M-5":bpnuuvig said:
I'm sure a good portion does go to rendering plant. You would be astonished buy the waste in grocery stores all because of gov regulations . I've had to pour bleach on hundreds of pounds of meat that was nothing wrong with but as usual good ol .gov.

I am astonished. How does that work? Does the grocery store take the loss or does the meat vendor take it?

Bright Raven":fktqf5av said:
M-5":fktqf5av said:

I am astonished. How does that work? Does the grocery store take the loss or does the meat vendor take it?
grocery store does. I've seen people pick over well marbled meat to get the leanest cut in the case. That's one reason the mark-up is so high to cover shrink.

Retail is simple.
Stock shelves/freezers, price it and reorder what sells.
If a product doesn't sell, mark it down and don't reorder it.
IF Wagyu wasn't selling in your area it wouldn't be getting reordered.

No retail store will take the loss over and over by reordering the same product.

M-5":ulzx2tox said:
After it's been in the ocunter and started to get dark, do the stores still surface it and grind into burger the stuff they cut off?

dun":7y9wujg2 said:
M-5":7y9wujg2 said:
After it's been in the ocunter and started to get dark, do the stores still surface it and grind into burger the stuff they cut off?

Retail chains don't anymore. Ground beef all comes in a course ground tube. I'm sure some stores will do some and if it is done it is sold so cheap because they can only label it ground market ground beef with no % of fat ratio. Today's consumer will not buy anything that is not labeled and it has to be brite red

Is the brite red a dye or some other additive? Seems like I heard they can add something to it when it starts getting dark.

Bright Raven":3i9guae2 said:
Is the brite red a dye or some other additive? Seems like I heard they can add something to it when it starts getting dark.

Its mainly Lighting in the meat case and the Film looks clear but on a roll it has a reddish tint , very subtle. no dye is used. That's why when a package is put in the case you have 3 days to sell it. on day 2 its usually marked down. If you purchase all of your beef go to local store when they open every morning you can get some bargains but you will have to be aggressive because you will be fighting with about 4 or 5 old ladies and they will hit you with their purse.

A lot has changed since ive been out of it but still know a lot of the meat cutters and talk with them in the cutting rooms all the time. a vast majority of the products are coming from the packing plants already wrapped and labeled. They can employ a min wage worker just to stock the case . We have a local owned store that has hired several of the chain butchers the last several yrs and they still work boxed beef. This market is very successful because its still a real butcher shop for the most part. The Heath depts. and regulation have eliminated this industry. Before all of this you didn't have people getting sick all the time but now day you do and its poor decisions and bad handling techniques buy the consumer but in true government fashion they blame the business for the acts of people that are too stupid to live.