Wagyu beef, I found this to be an intersting article

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":2g3t3flv said:
I read this article a couple months ago thought it was interesting
goes to show you can't beleive all the hype a breed or some breeders put out there

I also thought it was very interesting. What exactly are you referring to about hype?

tncattle":8s1imnej said:
Angus Cowman":8s1imnej said:
I read this article a couple months ago thought it was interesting
goes to show you can't beleive all the hype a breed or some breeders put out there

I also thought it was very interesting. What exactly are you referring to about hype?[/quote

I have seen several article(advertisements ) saying that with wagyu beef you can make so much more money they advertise like you can sell the live beef for $4-$5 perlb live weight so a 900lb steer would be $3600-$4500 per animal sold
This guy puts a realistic aspect on it IMO

If you made $2 a pound on it right now, that is better than any other breed by a long shot. I've heard about Kobe beef before, many of your high society people with money to burn pay big dollars for steaks and such in resturants, and even order the beef for use at home or gifts to clients. There is no hype as far as I can tell.

RD-Sam":36osthx2 said:
If you made $2 a pound on it right now, that is better than any other breed by a long shot. I've heard about Kobe beef before, many of your high society people with money to burn pay big dollars for steaks and such in resturants, and even order the beef for use at home or gifts to clients. There is no hype as far as I can tell.

What do you suppose the rest of the carcass that isn;t in that 80 lbs actually sells for?

At $7.50 a pound for ground beef, you could grind up the whole cow and make out like a bandit! By the way Dun, I saw some pics of some of those cows, they are right down your alley, wide and low! ;-)

dun":37wctuuk said:
The time frames for finish was really an eye opener, so was the part about the prime cuts
http://beefmagazine.com/prices/1224-aiming-for-prime/

Interesting read. Thanks. Most of us don't have the resources and contacts that he apparently had to get started and established. But a lot of producers are leaving money on the table simply by refusing to put a source verified ear tag on their calves.

Interesting read. Thanks. Most of us don't have the resources and contacts that he apparently had to get started and established. But a lot of producers are leaving money on the table simply by refusing to put a source verified ear tag on their calves.

I agree 100% have been age and source verifying for last 5 yrs

what co do you use for Age/source

RD-Sam":2odfeg4r said:
At $7.50 a pound for ground beef, you could grind up the whole cow and make out like a bandit! By the way Dun, I saw some pics of some of those cows, they are right down your alley, wide and low! ;-)

You guys must have different wagyu to the ones we have here.

I had the pleasure (sarcasm there, by the way) of dealing with a bunch of them in a feedlot, crossed with jersey mainly.

Awful animals. Fine boned light muscled gutless wonders, and CRAZY AS ALL GET OUT

Never seen anything like it. One truckload came in, they ran off into the yards, jumped the cattle panels, went through five electric fences then probably five or six normal fences, took us about four or five hours to get them back and into a pen.

Boy, wasnt walking the pens in the morning fun with those cattle :shock:

Hmmm, they are suppose to massage them daily, they say a calmer animal makes for better beef. If they are that crazy, how do they massage them? Of course they are suppose to give them saki too, maybe that is what the saki is for? :lol2:

Here are a couple of pictures of some. They are bred for the meat, not the bone. Looks like they are contained with minimal fencing, maybe it was the crossbred version that was crazy. 8)View attachment 1

RD-Sam":v42irajp said:
Here are a couple of pictures of some. They are bred for the meat, not the bone. Looks like they are contained with minimal fencing, maybe it was the crossbred version that was crazy. 8)

If I was getting Saki and a message everyday, the only time minimal fencing wouldn;t hold me is if they were late with the message and the booz

I heard that! :lol2: How do you like that cow on the left Dun? :cowboy:

RD-Sam":2hfdowyh said:
I heard that! :lol2: How do you like that cow on the left Dun? :cowboy:

Looks like Granny did till 4-5 years ago

I cant tell about the cows, too far away, but to me that bull is not one I would choose if I were looking for MEAT. No guts, no butt, doesnt appear to have a lot of top either.

I will say that the steers would put on a fair bit of top by the end of their stay, and they were ridiculously quiet by then too. You have to shove them out of the way. But that mob, 2 months they had been on feed and they were still nuts, had them in the yards and they were jumping every which way.

Wagyus also have low fertility we used 20 straws some last year for 0 on holstein cows rebred those same cows to either Jersey of Aussie red bulls (ai) for 18 in calf. I also know of several dairy farmers who have went & brought Wagyu bulls to try & get calves, when we were going to go Wagyu x holstein prices were $180 for week old calves. The bulls that I've seen around here leave a lot to be desired for.
Here are a few Aussie Wagyu links you may find interesting
http://www.macquariewagyu.com.au/
http://www.westholmewagyu.com.au/
http://www.blackmorewagyu.com.au/
http://www.lakewagyu.com.au/home.html

Thanks for the links Loch. I grabbed a few photos of bulls from those sites.

bull2.jpg

bull11.jpg

bull3.jpg

bull4.jpg

bull5.jpg

This is about the only Wagyu bull I found in all those breeders sites that I would say had a beef phenotype. $40/straw with a minimum 50 straws thats not so bad. They didnt have a jpg for him only this pdf

http://www.blackmorewagyu.com.au/pdf/BWB-Y342.pdf

I grabbed some more photos but will use attachments for them, for some reason ranchers is telling me I have exceeded my 20 uploads per day, when I've only uploaded five. I think its counting the ones I did yesterday. :???:

Latest posts