Wagu Calf Purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

I thought I read somewhere where you give them beer......and a massage daily.

Although there is some truth in this it is more myth than reality (https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/18/cows-drink-beer-wagyu_n_8002222.html).

The overwhelming majority of wagyu in the United States and Australia are fed in conventional feedlots. Much work has been done to increase gain and efficiency and increasingly animals are slaughtered well short of the 3 years that is often stated (but yes, longer than most conventional breeds.)

The F1s we've finished have taken no additional amount of finishing time (16-18 months) and have by and large not reduced carcass size.

We went to see some Wagyu years ago. Wondered why we were looking at jersey cross rubbish🙁🥸.
I get to drive by a bunch of those kind of critters nearly every day. Neighbor does ship them all over the country. He does AI, ET, and the full 9 yards. But a month or two ago he even said that, "this Wagyu bubble is going to bust one of these days." Like most things that are a fad the people in early are the ones who make money. The ones who get in late don't.

We have two Waygu/Angus steers that are about 15 months old. They are easy keeps and laid back disposition. They are slow growers. I have 8-9 month old Brangus calves that are about to catch them.
Definitely still another 10-12 months from them being ready to go to processor.
Very curious to see what we get out of these 2, then re-evaluating to determine if we do more.

Attachments

• 54343310-B967-4225-B51C-1A9100933538.jpeg
    54343310-B967-4225-B51C-1A9100933538.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 5
I think Wagyu beef originated in Japan. In Japan 35 years ago a chicken went for $25/lb. Cheapest regular beef went for $100/lb. We had a Japanese high school exchange student at the time and she was astonished that our meat was so cheap and that we ate meat every day. Japan has no pasture for cattle so these "Wagyu" cattle were raised in barns, fed special rice based diets, and massaged daily. This was part of the mystique about Wagyu beef. Supposedly the massaging distributed the fat more evenly and made the beef more tender. I don't think they started as a specific breed, just beef cattle to start. Beer contains a lot of carbs so feeding mash soaked in beer would make sense to add weight.

What are Wagyu cattle now? What breeds make up the genetics?

There are actually 4 different lines of the Wagyu if I remember right... but don't know that much about them. Some of the bull studs are carrying semen now for them. I think that there was some shorthorn in one of the lines and maybe simmental in another... they were originally a dual purpose type breed, being used for draft animals some too. I think that the blacks are more desirable for the beef but not sure what lines are here in the USA... was a time that they wouldn't allow them to be exported from Japan....

JDH Waygu Big Event Sale June 18 2019
14 bulls averaged $2,882
29 pairs $3784
18 embryos $1,042

March 22, 2021 Genomic Gems online sale
Grade 1 full blood Wagyu embryos sold for $450 - $1200

Last edited:
I get to drive by a bunch of those kind of critters nearly every day. Neighbor does ship them all over the country. He does AI, ET, and the full 9 yards. But a month or two ago he even said that, "this Wagyu bubble is going to bust one of these days." Like most things that are a fad the people in early are the ones who make money. The ones who get in late don't.
Like Emu!!

Latest posts