Wagu Calf Purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

High-grade wagyu can cost up to $200 per pound. The rarest steak in the world, olive wagyu, can cost anywhere from $120 to over $300 for a steak. Wagyu calves can be 40 times the price of US cattle. The adult cows can sell for as much as $30,000.Jan 7, 2021

What is the purpose of the purchase? Is this an animal you are going to raise and feed out for butcher? Is this going to be a breeding animal? That would be the first thing... breeding stock would be a whole different ball game than one you were going to raise to eat. And are you aware of the time needed to raise one to butcher as they grow slower and to get the quality meat that costs so much, the feeding requirements are different.
I don't have them, they seems to be well received for selling for beef, but you have to know how to finish them right to get the best quality....and yes @Jeanne - Simme Valley is right... it is a very specialized market.

High-grade wagyu can cost up to $200 per pound. The rarest steak in the world, olive wagyu, can cost anywhere from $120 to over $300 for a steak. Wagyu calves can be 40 times the price of US cattle. The adult cows can sell for as much as $30,000.Jan 7, 2021
That is what we have been hearing! Thank you.

What is the purpose of the purchase? Is this an animal you are going to raise and feed out for butcher? Is this going to be a breeding animal? That would be the first thing... breeding stock would be a whole different ball game than one you were going to raise to eat. And are you aware of the time needed to raise one to butcher as they grow slower and to get the quality meat that costs so much, the feeding requirements are different.
I don't have them, they seems to be well received for selling for beef, but you have to know how to finish them right to get the best quality....and yes @Jeanne - Simme Valley is right... it is a very specialized market.
Just doing research now!

What can I expect to pay for a 100% Wagu calf?
First off, WELCOME to Cattle Forum!
Where are you located?
Price will vary by availability (supply & demand) in your area.
100% Wagyu cattle are in short supply in most areas. But demand is not
strong in most areas either, so you might need to go outside of your state.
No mention of age, weight or even sex of calf.

A nonspecific question, deserving of a nonspecific answer.
So you can expect to pay about the same as what you'd pay for a registered angus calf from a reputable breeder in your area.

Last edited:
  • Seguin, TX
  • We are seeing strong demand for Wagu in the San Antonio / Austin area.
  • The post was intentionally ambiguous so as to gather a menu of germane questions and / or potential resources.

It is a unique market. Do not think you will get those prices just "because" you buy something labeled Wagyu.
It takes great marketing.
And a very strict feeding program and processing. Not to be picky, but if you're buying a "Wagu" you better ask a lot of questions and walk out the door. It's "Wagyu". Make sure you know what you're getting....

Last edited:
  • Seguin, TX
  • We are seeing strong demand for Wagu in the San Antonio / Austin area.
  • The post was intentionally ambiguous so as to gather a menu of germane questions and / or potential resources.
This makes sense. My daughter just got back from visiting friends in that area. She told me it is exploding with growth and mostly with young people that are making more money than they know what to do with.

First - have you ever raised cattle? When you pay XX amount for an animal that dies, you don't make much profit. Or doesn't breed. Or breeds and aborts. Or breeds, calves and has a dead calf. Or breeds, calves and has a live calf that later dies. Price out the semen and/or bulls.

Neighbor has several hundred Waygu. Yesterday we worked a bunch of fresh weaned calves that included a couple dozen F1 Waygu cross calves. He mentioned that 500 pound F1 calves were $2.04.

I'm posting a site (scroll to bottom for 2021) that has some production sale prices : https://jdaonline.com/jda_sales.html

The most recent sale (June 2021) had females averaging 10K, bulls nearly 8K, and embryos $700. Reputable breeders are going to ask 5K (probably more) for a live animal. The wagyu market nationally is very strong.

If you are interested in learning about wagyu I would strongly encourage you to speak with a reputable and knowledgeable breeder -- there are many in Texas. I would recommend Kay Wagyu near Austin. The site above also has a lot of information as they primarily work with Wagyu sales.

As someone who actually raises F1 wagyu and just added FB wagyu to the herd I will echo what others have mentioned -- what's your goal and what's your market?

We'll have our first waygu calves early next year.. Hit me up, i'll sell you one at a good price.. They'll be half and will be out of our heifers. Should be good growing calves, except they'll be out of heifers.. My daughter will have some too...

Latest posts