Wade fishermen be careful

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Went fishing near Baffin Bay this past weekend amidst all the bad weather. Wound up with three specks short of a limit for the three of us. But that's not the story. Had a near death experience with a pair of waders. The bottom was really muddy when we got out of the boat and I got about 20 feet away when I stepped in a hole and my right foot stuck in the mud. Down I went. The waders had me floating upside down and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't right myself. I could touch the bottom with my hands but only enough to keep my head above water between the waves. Had it not been for my two fishing partners being close by I would not be telling this story. I guess the good Lord was not ready for me yet.

dieselbeef":3d355jhy said:
a good knife should always be within reach

You are absolutely right, DB. I had a knife but didn't have it strapped to my leg (left it at camp). I think I'll leave wade fishing to the younger folks. And why spend $60K for a boat and then get out of it to fish.

I'm glad you're okay. We waded when I went last month. I wore my waders the first day, but they were neoprene, and hot, so I waded wet the second day. It was little cool, but I made it. I'm getting some breathable waders for next spring. And I hate wading in mud. If I get out of the boat and it's muddy I'll get right back in.

When I saw the discussion title I thought of that bad bacteria that got a couple folks a few years ago.

There was a video floating around of a wader getting his trout ate by a good sized shark.

Years ago as a surveyor I witnessed a guy about lose his mind when he went over his head in rubber boots. Said he couldn't kick them off and couldn't come out the water fast enough with them on.

Glad you're OK. Been there done that in the Arkansas River.... wasn't fun. water was 36 degrees a the time. You just quit breathing when hits your chest

lavacarancher":y2ezof49 said:
Went fishing near Baffin Bay this past weekend amidst all the bad weather. Wound up with three specks short of a limit for the three of us. But that's not the story. Had a near death experience with a pair of waders. The bottom was really muddy when we got out of the boat and I got about 20 feet away when I stepped in a hole and my right foot stuck in the mud. Down I went. The waders had me floating upside down and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't right myself. I could touch the bottom with my hands but only enough to keep my head above water between the waves. Had it not been for my two fishing partners being close by I would not be telling this story. I guess the good Lord was not ready for me yet.

That is the exact reason I could never see jumping out of a perfectly good Whaler or Mako.
Second was seen the results of one of my fishing partners getting hit by a sting ray was not pretty and
messed that boys leg up for a lifetime.
I won a many a tournament and never got out of the boat.
There were four of us that started the salt water trolling motor fad on Galveston Bay we would buy the cheap
Minn kota's and put SS shafts on them we made in the refinery.
When the motor housing would crater we would put the shaft on a new one.