W C C Special Design L309

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgurl1184

Reaction score
Has anyone actually seen calves first hand out of this bull? what do you think about them and what do you think crossing him with a northern improvement daughter who has shown well. She is big in every was possible by the way.

I have had one daughter of L309 and she is my best replacement heifer from last year. To be fair, she is also out of my best 044 cow. The calf is thick and good, I'm impressed with her. I have a neighbor that had mostly 90+ bwts. from L309, but liked the calves. It is very hard to sell big birthweights here, so he isn't using him again. BTW my heifer had a 86 bw.

The Special Design calves I have seen around here are pretty good. He is not as big as you think, if you saw him in person. I saw him in Denver in 2004 and didn't think he was as big as I thought he would be.

If your Northern Improvement heifer is pretty framy, he should work fine. It would definitely be good for an outcross, but Special Design calves can be on the larger side, and with 365 back in Northern Improvement, I wouldn't expect a tiny calf. Especially if she is a first calf heifer.

Latest posts