Voted yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Back in the dark ages when I was in school each individual teacher took care of "classroom" problems. You were in his/her room so he/she tore your butt up if you needed it. Supt, Principal, mom and dad never knew about it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

backhoeboogie":2zdmqbvp said:
Teachers don't get paid enough, that's for sure.

Depends on where you live. It's not uncommon to see $50,000 - $70,000 per year here in small town USA.

Plus... the insurance and retirement plans. They make more than I do and I work 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Looks like I'm the dumb one. :dunce:

grannysoo":17uyqcew said:
backhoeboogie":17uyqcew said:
Teachers don't get paid enough, that's for sure.

Depends on where you live. It's not uncommon to see $50,000 - $70,000 per year here in small town USA.

Plus... the insurance and retirement plans. They make more than I do and I work 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Looks like I'm the dumb one. :dunce:

That is exactly what I was going to say. In Granbury, first year teachers with a bachelor's degree, right out of college, 45K. That is for a job where you get two weeks at Christmas, spring break, and at least some summer break. I know you have to do stuff to maintain your credentials, but really. That's decent money for someone right out of school. I know this because I read it in the Hood County News.

Teachers have gone soft. They work hard, and it can be a challenge, but they have it pretty easy, depending, of course, on which district you are working. I personally would never work in Fort Worth or Dallas. The suburbs pay so much better and you don't have nearly the crap to deal with. Teachers are dedicated, and they do a lot of extra work sponsering groups and working nights and weekends, but they get stipends for a lot of that. It's decent money and I get just the least teensy bit tired of the "teachers don't make enough" thing.

Just how much is enough? For anyone? And do teachers work any harder than say, prison guards, farmers, residential therapists, dental assistants, forklift operators?

Sorry. It's my pet peeve.

I work in a school because it affords me time to be at home with my son, my animals, my garden, my life. It's a part time job and I view it as such. I may have to give it up to go back to being a forklift operator. I am a paraprofessional, though, so I get abused and truly underpaid. I have my degree and years of management experience and I choose to do what I do because it allows me to do the things I think are important to me now. I deal with kids that people who make at least twice my salary do not care to deal with and I do it better than they do, on a behavioral level. I don't care to go back to school. I finished my degree long ago and I just don't care to enter that environment again. Plus, I have to get my own children educated.

If you want to talk about who needs to earn more in education, look toward the highly qualified, yet sorely underpaid paraprofessional.

Retirement's nice, though. Insurance is good, too.

Latest posts