vortec 6.0??

Help Support CattleToday:

bowtiejim

Reaction score
Hi Board,

New here. I am looking at getting a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD regular cab 4x4 automatic 4.10?? (turns about 2500 RPM at 70mph) 6.0 vortec with the work truck package. I test drove it and it ran fine. Rides a little rough but thats to be expected with a 3/4 ton. (just a 1/2 ton owner). Anyway, I was just wanting to know if anybody here had the vortec 6.0 and if you did, how do you like it? I know the MPG will be pretty bad but it ain't no Honda. Has anybody had a 2003-2007 (2007 classic) Silverado 2500 that had alot of problems?
I have looked at reviews on the internet but I was wanting a review from a farmer/rancher, cuz thats what I will be doing with mine.
Oh, does the 6.0 vortec have the allison tranny or a 4L80E???
I just don't want to regret this investment, bought lots of pickups in the spur of the moment and got stuck with junk! Don't want to make that mistake anymore...

Thanks guys

Jim

I have a 99 silverado 6.0 with 4l80e trans. I always had manual trans, but love the auto. Pulls great,just use tow/haul mode. 13.5 fuel milage.

The 6.0 is a great motor... very dependable with good power. It will do every thing you want with out spending the $$$ for a diesel. Good truck to have around the farm or ranch.

By the time you put good tires, tool box, bumpers and what ever else on a 1/2 ton you are back at 13-15mpg any ways... might as well have the bigger motor.

I have an '03 with the 6.0L engine. I'm not overly impressed with it. Fuel mileage seldom is over 11 empty. The power isn't what I expected it to be. Pulling a small stock trailer with one cow will cause it to shift on nearly every hill when crusing down the highway. If you are planning on doing a fair amount of pulling I would consider the 8.1L over the 6.0. I've been told that they get as good or better mileage when pulling. Obviously the empty mileage is a bit less but I've been told they do a much better job when pulling.

You got some thing wrong Novaman or you got some bad hills. Several buddies of myne do day work and run 24' behind them all day every day. We have hauled quite a few cattle with out any problems. We don't do 80mph but we aren't holding up traffic either.

I would add to try and get 05s and up because they had several years behind them already with that motor and I think all the 05+ GMC - Chevy trucks drive better. The first couple of years they had a coupld bugs but that is all worked out now.

I had a 2000 model 2500 4 x 4 long bed extended cab with the 6.0 and the 4L80E in it. Was capable of 13 mpg empty with a tailwind and a light right foot....seldom happened that way! Usually around 10. But it performed dependably for around 200,000 miles before I traded up to a dually with the 8.1/Allison combo. I only had two problems with the 2500. First was the front wheel bearings....they can't be greased. Just wait for them to start wobbling and replace the whole hub assembly. Had the left front go out twice. Right front never went out. Figure that one out! Only other problem was with an O2 sensor. Went into limp home mode every once in a while before I figured that one out. Was strong enough to pull a 65 horse cab tractor/mower on a trailer without holding up traffic, but I never had a big cattle trailer back then to really test it like I do now. All in all.....great truck. Never made me walk!

Good trucks, 6.0 does not come with the allison trans. It will have a 4l80e or a 4l85e auto or also available with a stick. Service the auto trans every 30,000 and tow in tow haul mode and change oil in engine and it will most likely be mostly trouble free. As for gas milage we have been putting a crossflow muffler on them and getting 1-2 more miles to the gallon not pulling.

I would have a pre purchase inspection done. Take it to the local chevrolet store or someone who really knows those trucks.
I would find a 8.1 if possible. They are the best but hard to find. The proper engine oil is essential to long life in those motors.

Walker":1aewxhah said:
I have a 99 silverado 6.0 with 4l80e trans. I always had manual trans, but love the auto. Pulls great,just use tow/haul mode. 13.5 fuel milage.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but, I have yet to figure out exactly what the tow/haul mode really does. I experimented with it on and off while pulling a trailer and there is nothing I can find different. I thought maybe it changed the shif.t points or something but it sure isn't evident if it does. Anybody know?

Not sure about GM. but on my Ford the tow button does not allow the transmission to shift from third to fourth gear.
~Tom

Here's mine:

81578686.jpg

05 model with 6.0 and 5 spd manual. Recently had to replace the transfer case with 126,000 miles on it. Other than that, no problems. I never use overdrive for pulling loaded. 6.0 is a high reving motor and needs RPM to develop torque and HP. However, does fine in 5th with an empty trailer.

Pulls good with heavy load but I live at relatively low elevation (<800 ft). If you're in much higher elevations, I stay with a 20' or shorter stock trailer.

Tow/Haul mode simply raises the RPM at which the transmission shifts for a given accelerator position, thereby giving better acceleration. It does not stop the tranny from going into Overdrive and does not stop the torque converter from locking up.