Voltage regulator

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Does the voltage regulator just keep the voltage going to the battery at a certain voltage and that's it? When the battery is fully charge what tells the altenater to stop charging the battery or does it charge the whole time the engine is running? The battery on my 6610 blow today while mowing hay the caps off the top blow off and the water blow out of the battery. So Iam not sure if the battery just went bad or if it got over charged. I started the tractor and then removed the battery cable from battery and check the voltage And got right at 14volts. I hate to spend 150$ on a new battery and mess it up also.

if regulator is bad yes it can cause the alternator to over charge and mess the battery up. The alternator constantly charges due to the battery supplies power to other things.

I've never seen built in regulators mess up so they overcharge a battery, but with the old style external, mechanical ones, yes. I think while it's running you should be at 14.5V, and not over 15.5V, if the battery blows it's top, it probably has something wrong internally, perhaps too low a specific gravity electrolyte in it. if at full throttle you get over 15.5V it could be the alternator/regulator.

On my MF165 when I'm running full throttle for a whole day at a time cutting hay I'll disconnect the alternator, it has the mechanical regulator and I know it overcharges a little

Usually (key word-usually) when a lead acid battery blows up it is because there is an internal short to the plates inside the battery. Sometimes it can be caused by something breaking inside the battery and causing an arc. Charging a lead acid battery produces Hydrogen gas - highly explosive. Anything causing a spark will ignite the gas and blow it all to heII. Almost never caused by "overcharging". Overcharging will usually boil the water out of solution in the electrolyte and cause the battery to appear as if it is bad - but not explode.

Bought new battery this morning and used tractor all day everything seems to be good. Thanks for the info was exactly sure how all that worked.

lavacarancher":2wxf08aj said:
Usually (key word-usually) when a lead acid battery blows up it is because there is an internal short to the plates inside the battery. Sometimes it can be caused by something breaking inside the battery and causing an arc. Charging a lead acid battery produces Hydrogen gas - highly explosive. Anything causing a spark will ignite the gas and blow it all to heII. Almost never caused by "overcharging". Overcharging will usually boil the water out of solution in the electrolyte and cause the battery to appear as if it is bad - but not explode.
True, anything that causes the battery to heat up and gas a lot can make one explode if there is an ignition source. Batteries mounted in enclosed areas that are being charged can cause and explosion. One of the worst sights I ever saw was one to explode in my face.

Had one blow up in a 1986 (I think) Ford pkup. When I cranked it over it blew. :hide: Thought someone had planted a bomb in my truck. Sure made a mess out of the hood, but it was determined to be an internal short in the battery, not the charging system.

any over 14 .5 causes problems watch for wet battery. you should wash it down good with vineagar or coke a cola will do in a pinch to help prevent paint removal and rust br549

breed549":10aels4g said:
any over 14 .5 causes problems watch for wet battery. you should wash it down good with vineagar or coke a cola will do in a pinch to help prevent paint removal and rust br549
Baking soda neutralizes battery acid.

breed549":1x1qug4x said:
Ya I wash everything down good with baking soda. Then used some battery cleaner that turns pink if there acid.

Latest posts