Vitamins??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have seen a vitamin paste that can be given to newborn calves. Has anyone ever used children's chewable vitamins? Would there be any harm in doing the children's vitamins mixed with milk for a bottle calf?

Thats a good question, I was wondering the same thing last week. I have been putting a small amout of legear stock power in there bottle, and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

How about nutrtidrench? I put 6 squirts of it in my calfs milk twice a day when he needed an extra boost and he did quite well on it. At times that I couldn't get him to eat, he just got nutridrench right in his mouth.

I don't see a problem with giving a bottle calf some supplement vitamins. for a couple feedings. Then go to a good complete milk replacer.

Simplest thing to do is to compare the labels. A vitamin is a vitamin just as is a medicine is a medicine. On a chemical level it doesn't matter if its going in a dog, cat, cow, goat or human its all still the same compound.

Jogeephus":33toc7g7 said:
Simplest thing to do is to compare the labels. A vitamin is a vitamin just as is a medicine is a medicine. On a chemical level it doesn't matter if its going in a dog, cat, cow, goat or human its all still the same compound.

I hear you and agree with a couple of caveates.

What I have been told - and I am by no means an expert - is that ....

Just an example:

Vitamins - let's say A - can be represented by several different types of minerals.

Each individual mineral is selected for the ability to be used - or absorbed into the body.

Vitamin A - Represented by mineral X can be assimilated more easily in a human body with the inherent human chemical make up.

Vitamin A - Represented by mineral Y can be assimilated more easily in an animal body with the inherent animal chemical make up.

As the human and animal bodies are (obviously) chemically different, each vitamin is designed for that use for ease of absorption into the body.

So - if I am an idiot for explaining it this way - truly sorry as I am just a dumb farmer not a professor - but that is why some vitamins are not going to do much good if not used in the proper manner - despite being a vitamin - sometimes they cannot be absorbed into the system - or there is less efficient absorption if used on the "wrong" animal.

Regards

Bez+

Right Bez, and that is why the update by science girl and V B12 was really important to me and others...Do not give it orally per syringe unless the calf is under 4 weeks or younger old, actual injection is best...

That is why I love this board and truly appreciate all the great information that is given..

tom4018":22nmaai7 said:
I have seen a vitamin paste that can be given to newborn calves. Has anyone ever used children's chewable vitamins? Would there be any harm in doing the children's vitamins mixed with milk for a bottle calf?

I'm thinking it would depend on how often, how much you're adding, and how high a quality your milk replacer is. A high quality milk replacer is formulated to ensure the calf receives the proper amount of vitamins and minerals per day. Selenium is toxic at a certain level. Vitamins A, D, and E are fat soluble, are stored in the body, and are also toxic if too much is given. Vitamins B, and C are water soluble, so any excess is excreted. If the calf has received adequate colostrum, and your milk replacer is what it should be, I can see no reason to add vitamins to it. If you live in a selenium deficient area, a simple injection would be a far more accurate way of ensuring the calf has received the proper amount.

The points Bez mentioned is what I was wondering if the calf could utilize them vitamins in there form. I had a orphan calf that is skin and bones with really no muscle to inject into. Thought vitamins could do her no harm but worried about giving all the shots, Seen the paste in a Valley Vet book and wondered if a tablet would work.

Bez, from what i've read, even the experts don't agree on this matter. Seems there is a great debate over the benefits of vitamins and whether or not synthetic vitamins are any good at all. I think its 6 one way half dozen another. I'm not disagreeing with you but if the experts can't agree I'm left sitting on the fence.

As to the calf. Have you tried tubing it? There is a wonderful concoction on the board somewhere that includes egg, lite salt and a few other things. This has always put any sick calves I had on their feet within a day. Two tops.

Bez, from what i've read, even the experts don't even agree on this matter. Seems there is a great debate over the benefits of vitamins and whether or not synthetic vitamins are any good at all. I think its 6 one way half dozen another. I'm not disagreeing with you but if the experts can't agree I'm left sitting on the fence.

As to the calf. Have you tried tubing it? There is a wonderful concoction on the board somewhere that includes egg, lite salt and a few other things. This has always put any sick calves I had on their feet within a day. Two tops.

Latest posts