Vitamins/Meds for New Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

UbiCaritas

Reaction score
:?: Just looking for input on what to do for new calves, and also for their mothers. What vitamins/supplements would you normally give new calves? Do you treat every calf, or just those who seem to need it? How about mothers who are struggling, not making much milk, etc?

Thanks!
Emily

UbiCaritas":381csqc6 said:
:?: Just looking for input on what to do for new calves, and also for their mothers. What vitamins/supplements would you normally give new calves? Do you treat every calf, or just those who seem to need it? How about mothers who are struggling, not making much milk, etc?

Thanks!
Emily

Generally we don't use vitamins/supplements with new calves. If mom can't do her job, the calf is usually pulled and mom is shipped. Depending on individual circumstances, and if the calf will take a bottle while on mom, occasionally the calf is supplemented until old enough to wean and then mom is shipped. That having been said, you might try some vitamin B, and AD&E vitamins for the calves. Depending on your area and whether you are selenium deficient, you might also try some Bose. For the calf you are bottling, make sure your milk replacer is at least 20% fat and protein, and made with milk by-products - not soy. As far as mom goes, all you can do is make sure there isn't an underlying problem - such as not cleaning or some type of disease or illness - and pour the feed to her if you're not willing to ship her. Unless this is a first calf heifer, her performance is not likely to improve unless her poor performance is related to improper nutrition, and I'm in no way saying that is the case here, just saying that is usually the case.

I will work my new calves after 2 months. IBR, blackleg, worm, eartag, implants and band.

As msscamp said, A&D vit & Selenium (BoSe) for newborn at birth (if needed in your area - check with beef extension or vet). AND, a 7% iodine to dip the naval of the newborn. Cow should have excellent quality hay or grass, and a loose mineral 12 months of the year, and dewormed twice a year (late spring & fall - also timing depends on your area).
Cows that are not milking well, are either natually poor milkers (genetics) or are malnurished. It is hard as an unexperienced owner to look at your own cattle and be critical - especially at their condition. If you can see their spine at all - they are toooo thin. You should be able to FEEL their spine but not see it.

You are right up the road from us. We are in a selenium deficient area. I sent you a PM with a good vet clinic, we're lucky to have three good large animal vets close.
We had one calf that was a bit slow and rsponded with AB&E paste in two doses two days apart.
Need to take a hard look at your charges...good luck. DMc

Latest posts