Vitamin D3 - help please

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good brand of vitamin D3?

Read on Mayo Clinic website over 25% of population is vitamin D3 deficient.
I don't drink milk and get very little sun this time of the year.
Yesterday I saw 6 brands and grabbed a mid priced bottle out of the 6.

Got home and read the label - Spring Valley Vitamin D3 - Product of CHINA

Last edited:
Get a good multimineral supplement as some have 100% daily recommendation of Vitamin D. It will also cover a lot of the other stuff: tin, silicon, nickel, copper, iron, brass, chloride, potassium, zinc, folic acid, Vit. ABCDEK, etc.

Centrum is rated good.

CEN014.jpg

Last edited:
I got Nature Made vitamin D. I just studied the label. Nothing about where it is made. Distributed by a company in California? I have been taking a multiple vitamin daily and this winter added an extra D and Zinc once or twice a week. I am outside a lot but the sun would have to get through about 3 layers of cloths.

Most of the raw ingredients for vitamins originate in China, so it's probably not possible to avoid as a consumer.

Been taking D3 for years... research showed it effective in diminishing flu symptoms, long before COVID came on the scene.
Wife researched it extensively to find what was rated best. We take 125mcg/5000IU per day... Nature's Bounty... label says made in USA... from ingredients from around the world. So... does that mean China... IDK.

First suggestion is to have your D3 checked. Simple blood test. It probably is deficient but like adding fertilizer to grass at what level do you need.
Mine was really bad and I take a prescription D3 at 50,000 units once a week. the over the counter can be as low as 1000 units.

The source of ingredients shouldn't be confused with "manufactured by". Buck & ismith are correct. The source of 99.9% of the ingredients in drugs available in the USA originate in China. Pays to do your home work when comparing supplemental products

So glad I found your post. Nurse here 30 years as well as a cattle farmer. You are making a wise decision: Vitamin D is essential to mental and physical health.
So, as far as I know all vitamins have to meet FDA standards. There is a huge resistance that taking vitamin D prevent covid or the terrible effects of Coivid but trust me, The God Lord made our bodies to have plenty of the "sunshine med": take it!
Vitamin D is absorbed best with Calcium and/or certain fats (peanut butter). However, do your homework and consult with health professional. Request a Vit D level if you desire. Again, I applaud you. I think you will feel better physically and mentally.

First suggestion is to have your D3 checked. Simple blood test. It probably is deficient but like adding fertilizer to grass at what level do you need.
Mine was really bad and I take a prescription D3 at 50,000 units once a week. the over the counter can be as low as 1000 units.

This ^^^. I buy mine from Puritans Pride on line.

Sorry Butch but most of our medicine even prescription medicine is made in China and India then relabeled for sale here, They don't want us buying our meds out of the country but it is common practice for big drug companies to do just that. Don't believe me, check it out. Hopefully you can prove me wrong..... This is a very real problem. FYI I was personally diagnosed to have Hyperthyroidism and the only cure is surgery. Pills alone almost never help. Now must I take 2 Caltrate 600+D3 every day. "part of the treatment " I buy Sam's Calcium , same thing only much cheaper.

Last edited:
An internet search found Country Life Vitamins. From their website -
"We are proud to say that nearly all of our current products are manufactured right here in the USA at our manufacturing plant in Hauppauge, New York. We make every effort to purchase products and ingredients from U.S.-based suppliers, but we do source globally."

Just eat a spoon full of cattle mineral everyday. Get 3000 units of vitamin D, plus every other vitamin and mineral. Don't worry about the IGR, just use the pasture from now on to take a dump.

We've been taking the Nature Made Vitamin D3 supplement. Says it's made in US doesn't mention where ingredients are sourced that I can see. Been taking Vitamin C and a Zinc supplement too, in addition to a multivitamin. The Zinc bottle says made in US but with ingredients sourced from around the world.

I like sim-ang-king's sense of humor especially with the [pork} icon! He just might be right about the cattle mineral...
I remember eons ago when I got my first calf of 'grazing' on the mineral until Dad told me it was made from dead animals.
By that time the damage was done and the world has had to live with the result.

My nutritionist has me on Biotics( D3 with vitamin K) aldo A and E. They all work synergistically. My D level went from 16 to 37! Best it ever did. Yes, get a blood test. And not all supplements are created equal. How many lawsuits are out there-"If you took XXX and now have cancer, call us, we can help" 😞💰💰💰💰

Latest posts