vitamin a and d

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
i purchased a few thin cows. working on packing on the weight. so far they have progressed. i am going to work the herd and have consider b12 and a and d vitamins.

when do folks give vitamin a and d ? I have read before calving. Otherwise when does it apply? thanks.

They get vitamin A from eating green vegetation. Stores in the liver up to 120 days I believe it is. So if they have been grazing green grass lately I wouldn't think it necessary.

Jv, unless you're really strapped for cash I'd go ahead and give them all a shot of A-D. Vitamin A deficience is a real wreck so don't risk it. Nova is correct in that cattle get Vitamin A from Caratene in grass but much of it can be very vitamin deficient. The younger the animal the less they store in the liver. Vitamin A deteriorates very rapidly so has a very short "shelf live" so to speak.

Why dont you put them on a protine supplement that also supplies the vitamins. Thats your weight and vitamin.

i bought some since its worth the $12 considering the amount invested in cattle at this point. even for a small operation.

Simply because they are thin does not mean they are lacking in vitamins or nutrition - it could simply be a sign of not getting enough feed. Conversely, it could also be a sign of a more serious underlying condition than simply lacking vitamins. I believe I would be very careful about how I went about giving vitamin A & D shots to cattle that are now grazing, or are on good quality hay. Both of these vitamins are oil soluble - as opposed to Vitamin C, which is water soluble, and any excess is eliminated from the body - which means that both A & D can build up to toxic levels under the right circumstances. You would probably be much farther ahead to slowly build them up on a high quality hay/forage, perhaps with a little grain mixed in, and good loose mineral until they are back at their proper weight. If that doesn't do it, call your vet and find out why.

good point. i have good grass and loose minerals. i see improvement. maybe just another dose of ivermic plus and time.

Latest posts