Virtical Hoof Cracks in Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

chorewife

Reaction score
We have a 2 1/2 year old Angus bull, We had noticed that his front hooves were cracking vertically on the inside toe nail. Took him to the vet today to get his hooves trimmed up and to cut horizontal grooves about the cracking to keep the cracking from getting to his nerves. Much like you would fix cracking concrete. He got a mineral shot and out the door we went. Hope this helps his hooves out, trying to stop a problem before it got worse or he gets lame. Wish I would have taken before and after pics.

I had a cow with a vertical crack on one front outside claw, she became very lame when the tip of the claw tried to break off, and started putting pressure on the crack like a really bad hangnail. Because it was painfull and she was keeping off it, it kept hanging on. I kept her penned up so she was close to feed and water and could lie down out of the way of the other cows. Maybe two weeks and the claw tip broke off, she is sound now.
I do have a set of horse hoof nippers and contemplated nipping off that claw hangnail but I contemplated long enough and it fixed itself without me.

Latest posts