Virginia Cattle Thieves

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
Heard on the news this morning (radio) about the theft of 16 head of cattle from a sale barn in Bedford county, in/near Moneta. Apparently the animals were stolen in a similar fashion as posted a few days ago by someone else. The animals were taken from a locked holding pen on Sat. night/Sunday. The stockyard has insurance and the owner/buyer will be compensated for their loss.

Keep an eye on your cattle folks. I realize that in range conditions this is not so easy.

Perhaps Va could/would benefit from a brand inspection system. Very few (compared to the more western states) animals are branded in our state. I believe Virginia Tech brands their animals with the state of Virginia as the brand.

Katherine

When I read that I figured the theives must have cut a lock or something was left open. Last I bought there and picked up on Sun. you call a number and an employee that lives real close comes and checks you out. Thinking of taking a few down for the sale Sat.

fitz

fitz":65xfkjgy said:
When I read that I figured the theives must have cut a lock or something was left open.

I believe they mentioned a lock or chain or some such had been cut.

Last I bought there and picked up on Sun. you call a number and an employee that lives real close comes and checks you out.

Interesting system.

Thinking of taking a few down for the sale Sat.

May as well, prices are good.

fitz

Its the first I've heard about any cattle thefts in this state. I was down that way (Bedford)over the weekend, but not cattle related.

Katherine

That's why my cow pen is in rifle range, as well as the gate is chained locked. Now anybody can steal anything with enough time. It is usually the easy pickens that gets picked.

Caustic Burno":2fevi0m3 said:
That's why my cow pen is in rifle range, as well as the gate is chained locked.

All of the gates that access this property are chained and locked at all times, with the exception of the driveway which is locked when we're not around. There aren't many convenient places to access this place and then "getaway" real quick.

Now anybody can steal anything with enough time.

So very true.

It is usually the easy pickens that gets picked.

We try not to have too much in the way of easy pickins. Fortunately we live in an area where most all of us neighbors look out for each other.

I also like to believe that a couple of big, good dogs help.....along with armament ;-) .

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":alg36avx said:
Caustic Burno":alg36avx said:
That's why my cow pen is in rifle range, as well as the gate is chained locked.

All of the gates that access this property are chained and locked at all times, with the exception of the driveway which is locked when we're not around. There aren't many convenient places to access this place and then "getaway" real quick.

Now anybody can steal anything with enough time.

So very true.

It is usually the easy pickens that gets picked.

We try not to have too much in the way of easy pickins. Fortunately we live in an area where most all of us neighbors look out for each other.

I also like to believe that a couple of big, good dogs help.....along with armament ;-) .

Katherine

yup i would agree got me 2 big dogo argentinos. once they growed up u wouldnt believe the poeple who drive up hear a bark and just drive off. not that any off them are here to steal but im sure it makes a difference.

I saw that on the news last week. They interviewed the girl that was there when it happened. Don't know if she still works at Lynchburg, too, but I've met her a few times and she's a nice lady.

What goes around, comes around.

The Virginia shape brand is from the Virginia BCIA which operates bull tests in Culpeper and Wythville.

Bulls graduating from the test are freeze branded with the Virginia Shape logo brand.

if Va Tech is using it also it is news to me and I am a past president of the Va BCIA, but since BCIA is run out of Blacksburg I would not be amazed if it were true.

pdfangus":2415ln6y said:
The Virginia shape brand is from the Virginia BCIA which operates bull tests in Culpeper and Wythville.

Bulls graduating from the test are freeze branded with the Virginia Shape logo brand.

if Va Tech is using it also it is news to me and I am a past president of the Va BCIA, but since BCIA is run out of Blacksburg I would not be amazed if it were true.

It seems that I stand corrected. About 8 years ago at the farm where I work they had 2 bulls there with the Virginia-shaped brand. I had asked where the bulls had come from and I was told that they had been bought from Virginia Tech where (I was told at that time) they had a bull raising/testing/sale program. So therefore I assumed(something I don't usually do for this very reason) it was a brand registered to Tech.

Thank you for the correction. :)

Katherine

Latest posts