Virginia - Armed teachers ????

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
https://www.richmond.com/news/national- ... b3e3d.html

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A rural school district in southwest Virginia wants to become the first in the state to arm teachers.

The school board in Lee County, Virginia, voted last week to allow an undisclosed number of teachers and staff members to carry guns in school.

Board member Rob Hines said the school district has just four resource officers for its 11 schools and cannot afford to hire more.

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring is looking into the plan. State law prohibits guns in schools, with only a few exceptions.

The board plans to petition a circuit court judge to allow school employees who carry guns to be designated as "conservators of the peace." The board believes that would exempt them from the state law.

There's some more potential customers for Kenny. I'm sure he'll have a special deal for teachers....especially if their females and need some hands on training.

skyhightree1":3n9fy3ht said:
https://www.richmond.com/news/national-world/ap/rural-county-seeks-to-be-first-in-virginia-to-arm/article_d87f7732-cf06-5feb-a80f-b51193cb3e3d.html

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A rural school district in southwest Virginia wants to become the first in the state to arm teachers.

The school board in Lee County, Virginia, voted last week to allow an undisclosed number of teachers and staff members to carry guns in school.

Board member Rob Hines said the school district has just four resource officers for its 11 schools and cannot afford to hire more.

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring is looking into the plan. State law prohibits guns in schools, with only a few exceptions.

The board plans to petition a circuit court judge to allow school employees who carry guns to be designated as "conservators of the peace." The board believes that would exempt them from the state law.

That's our district, as for myself, I don't see it as a good ideal. What if the teacher loses the gun or shoots the wrong person, a bullet ricochets off a wall and the wrong person hit. I told my son to not volunteer for this. All the schools have cameras in place, door controls and they need metal detectors. Some of the schools have ROTC trainers as they might be a good candidate to carry a gun. Virginia is one of the wealther states, but the wealth is spread probably as unequal as any state. There has never been a Governor east of Roanoke elected and there never will be, therefor we pretty much don't exist on this end.

jltrent":6v93y6vm said:
That's our district, as for myself, I don't see it as a good ideal. What if the teacher loses the gun or shoots the wrong person, a bullet ricochets off a wall and the wrong person hit. I told my son to not volunteer for this. All the schools have cameras in place, door controls and they need metal detectors. Some of the schools have ROTC trainers as they might be a good candidate to carry a gun. Virginia is one of the wealther states, but the wealth is spread probably as unequal as any state. There has never been a Governor east of Roanoke elected and there never will be, therefor we pretty much don't exist on this end.

I hear you, but I have to disagree. My son goes to a school in the middle of the country. It's 10+ minutes from any law enforcement, but probably longer. Locked doors and metal detectors only do so much. There are non-lethal rounds that we can give teachers. We could arm them with bear spray. When I worked in a hospital we had doors for the mental health rooms that locked with a magnetic strip that could not be opened and all it took was a switch to initiate it. This is a horrible conversation to have to have, but it's one that needs to happen.

Numerous schools around here are sending select faculty to training in order to carry at school. I'm getting quite irritated our district hasn't yet. If they don't do it soon, I'll pull my kids out and send them to a district willing to do what they can to keep them safe.

Bestoutwest":2radwxoy said:
jltrent":2radwxoy said:

I hear you, but I have to disagree. My son goes to a school in the middle of the country. It's 10+ minutes from any law enforcement, but probably longer. Locked doors and metal detectors only do so much. There are non-lethal rounds that we can give teachers. We could arm them with bear spray. When I worked in a hospital we had doors for the mental health rooms that locked with a magnetic strip that could not be opened and all it took was a switch to initiate it. This is a horrible conversation to have to have, but it's one that needs to happen.

I guess my point is that it should not be the teachers with the guns as I bet a dollar to a donut in the eastern part of the Virginia state the schools have armed hired personnel other than teachers in every school. This could get interesting, but I don't see more money coming on this end of the state for more resource officers. In a recent school shooting the resource officer stood outside and listen to the shooter keep shooting and did nothing so who says this is the answer. A lot of mental people out there as I have seen first hand from almost 30 years in a correctional facility and some will slip through.

I believe if I was going to kill a bunch of rural school kids I would follow a bus run it off of the road walk along beside it a riddle it with bullets. If someone wants to kill they will devise a way to do it they are not only crazy they are cunning as well.

hurleyjd":145a9a4j said:
If someone wants to kill they will devise a way to do it they are not only crazy they are cunning as well.

I agree whole heartedly. But I also think having the means to fight back is critical. A coyote is a predator. But you don't see him jumping on a grizzly. Can you imagine the sense of helplessness you would experience if you were a teacher and an armed gunman was beating down a classroom door to gain entry and all you had to defend those innocent children with was a ruler and a staple gun? Non lethal rounds would be a good start. But lethal rounds accompanied by training would be ok with me as well. I don't have the answer, and arming teachers may not be it either, but I can tell you with certainty that what's being done now isn't completely working either.

I don't really like the thought of it but maybe our schools need secure, guarded perimeters with one way in and one way out. Nobody is shooting up prisons and Air Force bases. Just saying.

Our schools have teachers with guns and I have mixed feelings about it. What's to say a teacher doesn't loose it and shoot up a class? If all schools just put a big sign up that says "Teachers are Trained and Armed" it would probably make people think twice.

Lucky":210b1dey said:
Our schools have teachers with guns and I have mixed feelings about it. What's to say a teacher doesn't loose it and shoot up a class? If all schools just put a big sign up that says "Teachers are Trained and Armed" it would probably make people think twice.
Whats to say they won't do it now? Arming those willing to protect others has no affect on those wanting to harm others. People willing to shoot other people for no reason aren't going to just forget about it since its against the rules.

hurleyjd":195v772h said:
I believe if I was going to kill a bunch of rural school kids I would follow a bus run it off of the road walk along beside it a riddle it with bullets. If someone wants to kill they will devise a way to do it they are not only crazy they are cunning as well.
Now you are on a watch list ....... :shock: :shock:

True Grit Farms":3m3krsgk said:
There's some more potential customers for Kenny. I'm sure he'll have a special deal for teachers....especially if their females and need some hands on training.
Yes, this is here. Already got a few questions about pistols to carry in schools. I have mixed feelings on this. Not too sure about the ones asking.

kenny thomas":19zljx39 said:
True Grit Farms":19zljx39 said:
Yes, this is here. Already got a few questions about pistols to carry in schools. I have mixed feelings on this. Not too sure about the ones asking.

If the nut shows up to the school where your kids or grandkids are you will want any and everyone willing and able present to defend them.
Mine go to Santa Fe.

sstterry":3ixus3ov said:
hurleyjd":3ixus3ov said:
Watch list he//. The swat teams are forming in front of the Yantis barbershop, and the unmarked helicopters are flying in low over Lake Fork as we speak.....

greybeard":1hb14058 said:
sstterry":1hb14058 said:
hurleyjd":1hb14058 said:
Watch list he//. The swat teams are forming in front of the Yantis barbershop, and the unmarked helicopters are flying in low over Lake Fork as we speak.....

I am heading to my secure bunker now. Surely some of you would come to my aid. Like everyone did for the Bundys.

This is in a county with a population of less than 25,000. If some of the parents would take more control of their kids this issue wouldn't be an issue.

kenny thomas":2ehhfd74 said:
This is in a county with a population of less than 25,000. If some of the parents would take more control of their kids this issue wouldn't be an issue.

Parents? You must have missed the memo. It takes a village.

Latest posts