Virgina's new Farm tags law.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenny is there any other alternative for small trucks? My daughter has an F-150 that wont pass inspection, she isn't happy but then neither am I. Government doing what government does, taxing and abusing.

What about side-by-sides?
I don't have a good understanding of what I read even. The side by side deal I haven't even ask. I assume it will stay as it is. I'm rarely on the road with my side by side but it's definitely farm use when I do.

Talked with a Trooper a few days ago and he said he was Appling to be an inspector and would like to have the job. He said there would be roadblocks, etc. to do checks. A lot of vehicles running around, some fairly new with farm tags. Probably a lot are not insured. It needs to be enforced. A lot of buggies on the road also that needs something.
You bring up a good point about buggies. I know that you are referring to the Amish buggies that are using the roads in your area. Over time the horse shyyt and the buggy wheels and even the horse shoes will add wear to the pavement. They pay nothing for using the roads though. Maybe they should have insurance and a placard.

Dad has an old Tacoma that's a legit Farm Use vehicle, basically a side by side that he can drive from farm to farm. It'll never pass inspection again, so how do you reckon that's going to be handled?
What Steve posted seems to be all legitimate farm vehicles until it says vehicles with gross weight over 7500 lb. I can't get an answer locally.
I did abuse the system today. I drove my Dodge 3500 with farm tags one mile to work. But if I filled up my farm tank on the back with off road diesel fuel while I was there it's ok.

What Steve posted seems to be all legitimate farm vehicles until it says vehicles with gross weight over 7500 lb. I can't get an answer locally.
I did abuse the system today. I drove my Dodge 3500 with farm tags one mile to work. But if I filled up my farm tank on the back with off road diesel fuel while I was there it's ok.
If I read it right Kenny it says any truck, SUV or a vehicle over 7500# GVW. Your small truck should still qualify just don't get caught bear hunting in it LOL.

To my knowledge the only way a SxS can be operated on a state rd. is directly fronting or between farms and must display a SMV emblem. Same for a 4 wheeler. As for the Amish, they should get a medal of bravery for just getting on the road in those buggies the way these fools drive now.

If it only applies to vehicles over 7500 GVW then the law seems useless. The law is often like that - there was the intent, the enforcement and then legal applications.

If I read it right Kenny it says any truck, SUV or a vehicle over 7500# GVW. Your small truck should still qualify just don't get caught bear hunting in it LOL.

To my knowledge the only way a SxS can be operated on a state rd. is directly fronting or between farms and must display a SMV emblem. Same for a 4 wheeler. As for the Amish, they should get a medal of bravery for just getting on the road in those buggies the way these fools drive now.
So are you saying an old Lincoln with a GVW of over 7500 will qualify?
The 1995 Toyota pickups have a GVW of 5001-6000lb.

I found the text of the bill. It seems to apply to "(i) pickup or panel trucks, (ii) sport utility vehicles, (iii) vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 7,500 pounds, and (iv) trailers and semitrailers that are not operated on or over any public highway..."

Its also found on DMVs site here

Parsing that out it seems there are four criteria and your vehicle must fall into one of those criteria. I'd also agree that a SxS doesn't fall under this law but for this criteria in that DMV page "Any farm use vehicle exempt from registration provisions... "

Last edited:
I found the text of the bill. It seems to apply to "(i) pickup or panel trucks, (ii) sport utility vehicles, (iii) vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 7,500 pounds, and (iv) trailers and semitrailers that are not operated on or over any public highway..."

Parsing that out it seems there are four criteria and your vehicle must fall into one of those criteria. I'd also agree that a SxS doesn't fall under this law.
Yes that is right pickups are a separate class than trucks with over 7500# gvw as far as DMV is concerned even though a lot of pickups hit that category. Anything over 7500# gvw gets apportioned or "truck" tags. That means you pay a higher registration fee based on weight. You also open yourself up to being weighed at a DOT check with those tags. While 26001# is the threshold for CDL anything with apportioned tags is considered commercial. That is how it was explained to me by both a state trooper and the lady at DMV.

Parsing that out it seems there are four criteria and your vehicle must fall into one of those criteria. I'd also agree that a SxS doesn't fall under this law.
Why would trailers and semitrailers that are not operated on public highway even need anything?

Good point. What is definition of highway?

ETA I think its just the way I cut text out. Following sentences show that it is....I think. I was not a great student in English.

Last edited:
Before we were allowed 75 air miles. We met with the State Police DOT on this. Now 75 highway miles. Here in the mountains that makes a lot of difference.

1. Any farm use vehicle exempt from registration provisions making a return trip from any marketplace, transporting back to a farm ordinary and essential food and other products for home and farm use, or transporting supplies to the farm.
So where does one draw the line at ordinary and essential? Is my case of Natty Light ordinary enough? What about the wife's buzzballs? Way too many gray areas for me....

So where does one draw the line at ordinary and essential? Is my case of Natty Light ordinary enough? What about the wife's buzzballs? Way too many gray areas for me....
Ordinary, maybe but essential certainly!