Virgina's new Farm tags law.

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
From what I can read every vehicle and trailer used for farm use must be tagged. You can get a Farm tag if used only for farming use. The law states all farm vehicles must have insurance. Is a trailer a vehicle or to be considered a vehicle does it have to have an engine? I have the paperwork ready to take to DMV and wondering about proof of insurance on trailers.

At the DMV, farmers will also have to provide proof that the vehicle will have liability insurance with the new regulations.

Last edited:
I was told last week that they aren't ready to issue them yet.
You will get a tag( they are calling them a placard) for both the truck and trailer but no proof of insurance will be required for the trailer. It is covered by the truck insurance. You will be required to prove you are farming and have insurance on the truck. But they don't have a procedure for proof of farming.
I had to get regular license plates for my old Toyota pickup because it's not 3/4 ton or larger.

You will get a tag( they are calling them a placard) for both the truck and trailer but no proof of insurance will be required for the trailer. It is covered by the truck insurance. You will be required to prove you are farming and have insurance on the truck. But they don't have a procedure for proof of farming.
I had to get regular license plates for my old Toyota pickup because it's not 3/4 ton or larger.
Good info, thanks. Saved me a trip to town.

Last edited:
You are most likely going to have to provide a copy of your schedule F tax form as proof of farm income. That is what they normally require. I have mixed feelings on it but with the way farm use is abused around here I think it is a good thing in the end.

You are most likely going to have to provide a copy of your schedule F tax form as proof of farm income. That is what they normally require. I have mixed feelings on it but with the way farm use is abused around here I think it is a good thing in the end.
That could be a bit sticky if it is ever challenged. They can't force you to give Federal tax info or your SS number by federal law. They can ask, but they can't require it.

That could be a bit sticky if it is ever challenged. They can't force you to give Federal tax info or your SS number by federal law. They can ask, but they can't require it.
Then why is it I have to provide all those forms of ID to get a license? They require forms all the time. You can leave your Ss# off of those forms but I don't see where a Gov't agency requiring another Gov't agencies form is going to be able to be challenged but so hard. They are going to require proof of farm income and a schedule F is the easiest way to do that. You can ask for a farm plate but they are not required to give it to you if you don't meet their requirements. That is how it was explained to me when the local Farm Bureau was discussing the new law.

End of the day the goal is to make it so the crack heads driving a POS that won't pass inspection or they don't have a license from driving around with farm use plates. It is also so people can no longer avoid paying taxes by putting a farm use tag on their brand new dually etc. when they have no farm. I am all for eliminating both of those misuses.

Then why is it I have to provide all those forms of ID to get a license? They require forms all the time. You can leave your Ss# off of those forms but I don't see where a Gov't agency requiring another Gov't agencies form is going to be able to be challenged but so hard. They are going to require proof of farm income and a schedule F is the easiest way to do that. You can ask for a farm plate but they are not required to give it to you if you don't meet their requirements. That is how it was explained to me when the local Farm Bureau was discussing the new law.

End of the day the goal is to make it so the crack heads driving a POS that won't pass inspection or they don't have a license from driving around with farm use plates. It is also so people can no longer avoid paying taxes by putting a farm use tag on their brand new dually etc. when they have no farm. I am all for eliminating both of those misuses.
They can probably see the form with the SS redacted. But:

"It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his social security account number."

Privacy Act of 1974

I had a case dealing with this a couple of years ago.

When filing land use forms for the two counties I own property in, all I have to do is supply a photo copy of a stockyard check over 1,000.00. Usually pick one from a couple pound cows and it meets the requirement. They will not accept just the bottom part. It has to have a copy of the actual check in my name.
I'm assuming DMV will do likewise.

Maybe not. Check your mail.

I was told that they will not be turning it in to the county so it can be taxed. I would think that will change soon.

They can probably see the form with the SS redacted. But:

"It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his social security account number."

Privacy Act of 1974

I had a case dealing with this a couple of years ago.
That is in line with the usual logic of most laws in this country, require something then make it so it is not required.

My original post was only about the form and nothing to do with SSN. They can't demand your SSN but they can demand proof of farm income. Your schedule F with or without that number will be on that list and one of the easier ways to get it done. Here it is even required for the land use tax exemption the county offers.

No matter the new rules if they will enforce it I'm all for it. I do farm and always carry insurance so no change for me except the $15. Actually $30 if I add the cattle trailer.
Same here only affects one trailer I have and I only keep it set up that way due to GVW. The county taxes it even with farm tags so that doesn't even matter to me. They will enforce it. That is one of the biggest reasons for the new system. It takes any question out of it for the police. They won't have to waste time proving it. Best part is most of the ones abusing it have no idea it is coming because they aren't involved in farming at all. It has not been overly well advertised outside the local farm bureaus.

Same here only affects one trailer I have and I only keep it set up that way due to GVW. The county taxes it even with farm tags so that doesn't even matter to me. They will enforce it. That is one of the biggest reasons for the new system. It takes any question out of it for the police. They won't have to waste time proving it. Best part is most of the ones abusing it have no idea it is coming because they aren't involved in farming at all. It has not been overly well advertised outside the local farm bureaus.
I'm waiting to see what the police do here. I hope they enforce it to the max

Has anyone here seen an actual DMV issued Farm Use tag yet?

I'm betting we see a lot more Maine trailer tags in the area.

Dad has an old Tacoma that's a legit Farm Use vehicle, basically a side by side that he can drive from farm to farm. It'll never pass inspection again, so how do you reckon that's going to be handled?

I'm waiting to see what the police do here. I hope they enforce it to the max
Talked with a Trooper a few days ago and he said he was Appling to be an inspector and would like to have the job. He said there would be roadblocks, etc. to do checks. A lot of vehicles running around, some fairly new with farm tags. Probably a lot are not insured. It needs to be enforced. A lot of buggies on the road also that needs something.

Last edited:
Kenny is there any other alternative for small trucks? My daughter has an F-150 that wont pass inspection, she isn't happy but then neither am I. Government doing what government does, taxing and abusing.

What about side-by-sides?

Latest posts