Vira Shield 6 + VL5 Cattle Vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
Does Vira Shield 6 + VL5 cover pneumonia protection? I read the info on it but doesn't say pneumonia specifically.

I don't think it does. We give Vira Shield VL5+ with somnus and Calvery 9 to smalle calves in the spring. Pretty sure the Calvary 9 is for BRD. Valley Vet is a really good site to check meds out. They have a great search engine also.

I don't think it does. We give Vira Shield VL5+ with somnus and Calvery 9 to smalle calves in the spring. Pretty sure the Calvary 9 is for BRD. Valley Vet is a really good site to check meds out. They have a great search engine also.
This is something after hours of research that makes me think it does to a degree. I'm just trying to cover the 3 calves I just bought until October vaccinations of the herd of which they will be part of. See clip from my research on Vira Shield 6
Histophilus somni is a non-motile, gram-negative, rod or coccobacillusshaped, facultative anaerobe bacterial species belonging to the family Pasteurellaceae.[2] Prior to 2003, it was thought Haemophilus somnus, Histophilus ovis, and Histophilus agniwere three different species, but now are all classified as Histophilus somni. Histophilus somni is a commensal bacteria of mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract and reproductive tract

We give the vira shield VL5 to the cows and ViraSheild VL5 with somnus to the calves. I believe the somnus helps with shipping for respiratory disease I assume. All these meds get confusing and it seems like every person has their own protocol and reason why.

Well I guess I was on the wrong end of the calf 😆. We gave Vision 8 w/spur for years and the it was recommended we change to Virashield.

Haemophilus somnus causes inflammatory disease in the genital tract of cows as reported in several field surveys and experimental trials. This organism can also innocuously colonize the healthy genital mucosa of the cow, which indicates its dual relationship with the host, that of pathogen and commensal.

I think it does. I don't have my sheet with me but I think the vet that wrote our vac program had us give it to calves once they hit a couple months old a we work them.

With this weather is could be a rough year. I've already heard some people in central TX having issues.

Always good to look at the label. Per the label:
"This product has been shown to be effective for the vaccination of healthy cattle against disease caused by infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR), bovine virus diarrhea (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2), parainfluenza Type 3 (PI3), and bovine respiratory syncytial (BRSV) viruses and Campylobacter fetus, Leptospira canicola, grippotyphosa, hardjo, icterohaemorrhagiae, and pomona."

So it covers IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV, Vibrio and Lepto.

The question was "Does Vira Shield 6 + VL5 cover pneumonia protection?" The answer could be "Yes", but that is probably not a completely safe answer. Pneumonia can be caused by viruses, bacteria and mycoplasmas.

Viruses that can cause pneumonia include Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), Parainfluenza III virus (PI3), Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis virus (IBR) and Bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVD).

Bacteria that can cause pneumonia include Mannhaeimia spp, Pasteurella multocida, and Hemophilus (Histophilus) subspecies (H. somnus).

So ViraShield 6 + VL5 covers some of the things that cause pneumonia, but not all. If pneumonia has been a problem in your area, I suspect that including a Pasteurella vaccine would be a good thing. I think a local veterinarian could provide a better answer.

Always good to look at the label. Per the label:
"This product has been shown to be effective for the vaccination of healthy cattle against disease caused by infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR), bovine virus diarrhea (BVD Type 1 and BVD Type 2), parainfluenza Type 3 (PI3), and bovine respiratory syncytial (BRSV) viruses and Campylobacter fetus, Leptospira canicola, grippotyphosa, hardjo, icterohaemorrhagiae, and pomona."

So it covers IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV, Vibrio and Lepto.

The question was "Does Vira Shield 6 + VL5 cover pneumonia protection?" The answer could be "Yes", but that is probably not a completely safe answer. Pneumonia can be caused by viruses, bacteria and mycoplasmas.

Viruses that can cause pneumonia include Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), Parainfluenza III virus (PI3), Infectious bovine rhinotracheitis virus (IBR) and Bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVD).

Bacteria that can cause pneumonia include Mannhaeimia spp, Pasteurella multocida, and Hemophilus (Histophilus) subspecies (H. somnus).

So ViraShield 6 + VL5 covers some of the things that cause pneumonia, but not all. If pneumonia has been a problem in your area, I suspect that including a Pasteurella vaccine would be a good thing. I think a local veterinarian could provide a better answer.

Thanks for the info. I wish they would use simple terms on the labels for dummies like me. If it covers a disease put it clearly like they do "blackleg" on some labels. Instead they use a 19 letter word that I can
't pronounce.

Do you think I need to give the pasturella vaccine now or is it now ok to wait until the herd vaccination where every gets the 'just once pm in vaccine'? The herd will be getting the "Just once pm in", Calvary 9, cattlemaster gold and multimin90. If I give the pasturella vac, I'll have to give it again in 3-4 weeks. But I also will have to do the Vision 7 and the Vira Shield 6 + somni in 3 weeks for booster .

Do you keep Epinephrine on hand for this vaccine? I have almost ordered it but never because of shelf life of it. Just curious because I don't have.

Latest posts