Vineyards and sheep?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a vineyard? I am looking at planting a commercial vineyard and other growers who are not livestock people said that they spend an insane amount of time mowing between the trellises. I was wondering if sheep could be used to control the grass once the vines are mature?

Does anyone here have a vineyard? I am looking at planting a commercial vineyard and other growers who are not livestock people said that they spend an insane amount of time mowing between the trellises. I was wondering if sheep could be used to control the grass once the vines are mature?
I wouldn't think so. Sheep will do a pretty good number on wild grapes.
I've been building vineyards since it became a thing. If you need any ideas on construction feel free to call.

I don't have a vineyard, but my next door neighbor does. Every other time I talk to him he's complaining about the deer eating on his vines, so I imagine sheep would too.

I don't have a vineyard, but my next door neighbor does. Every other time I talk to him he's complaining about the deer eating on his vines, so I imagine sheep would too.
The deer never ate my scuppernong vines but sure ate every grape on the vine the last year I was there. Only took 'em 2 nights to do it too...

Get enough geese and you'll never have to fertilize under the vines either. They squirt some out every other step they waddle.

We have a lot of vineyards around here and it is also a sheep/wool district on our western side however none of the vineyards run sheep. I know they have lots of trouble with fallow deer.

Ken

Geese? I never would have thunk it. Ok, so sheep are out. Too bad because sheep and goat manure serves as a great fertilizer.

And Fence, I will be calling you in a few months. After we close on the property we are buying.

Geese? I never would have thunk it. Ok, so sheep are out. Too bad because sheep and goat manure serves as a great fertilizer.

And Fence, I will be calling you in a few months. After we close on the property we are buying.
You'd have to keep predators down to a bare minimum.. Domestic geese ain't exactly fleet of foot...

Latest posts