vinegar supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a question for you. A friend at work told me that when he lived on a farm his dad would put vinegar in the cow's feed, but didn't know why. I would like to know also. Thank you.

Tony

In the 60;s it was thought that including vinegar in the diet would cause more females to be born. We tried it for several years. Without it half of the young were females. When we started using it 50% of them were female.

dun

[email protected]":3i1xjv2w said:
Hi,

I have a question for you. A friend at work told me that when he lived on a farm his dad would put vinegar in the cow's feed, but didn't know why. I would like to know also. Thank you.

Tony

dun":3qugpmaa said:
In the 60;s it was thought that including vinegar in the diet would cause more females to be born. We tried it for several years. Without it half of the young were females. When we started using it 50% of them were female.

dun

[email protected]":3qugpmaa said:
Hi,

Tony

Thats strange, when we tried it 50% of our calf crop were bulls. Go figure!
;-)

That just goes to show you that at least 50% of the calves will be either bulls or heifers.

la4angus":omr96vqy said:
That just goes to show you that at least 50% of the calves will be either bulls or heifers.

Unless your changed herd bulls and want to keep a crop of reg calves out of your last bull. Reg cows 80% bulls this year, crossbreds 90% heifers. Go figure. It's still 50/50 I know its just the first time I had it turn out this way. Got 2 Herefords left to calf this week fingers crossed for heifers.

la4angus":mpt700px said:

Maybe it's a regional thing. Around here 100% of the calf crop will either be bulls or heifers. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Craig-TX

Some folks (Amish?) will put vinegar into the cows' water--it helps keep the flies/mosquito's away. When a cow consumes the water/vinegar combination after a week or so the vinegar makes the cows 'stink' to the pesky critters. If I remember correctly the ratio is like anywhere from 2 Tablespoons to 1/2 Cup per gallon of water.
Maybe that is why the guy was putting it into the cow's feed.....just a thought anyhow!

I was told by an older gentleman... if you give an old cow corn and vinegar for 60 days before slaughter, she'll have better meat.

Thats strange i thought if you wanted replacement heifers you get bull calves and otherwise you get heifer calves. good to know. no more of that reverse psychology of hoping for heifers to really get bulls.

Latest posts