video on live carcass evaluation

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Here's a video you may find useful if you're a novice like me. It's about 20 minutes and it goes through how to evaluate the carcass on a live animal. What I found really useful was the comparison of two live steers and then the comparison of the two carcasses of both steers. Those of you who are experienced probably won't learn much as its pretty basic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CKbCJcPAnc

Andrew

A Must watch video for all beginners.

Excellent video that certainly emphasizes the importance of animal width in relationship to retail yield.
Though they did not grade either steer both appeared similar in lack of marbling, but the one steer had a huge advantage in yield.

Been to large slaughter plant where they explainwd what they are looking for on diffetent carcasses. Size of certain spots, colour of this and that. Was interesting to learn. Will check video out after.

Son of Butch":149v3h36 said:
A Must watch video for all beginners.

Excellent video that certainly emphasizes the importance of animal width in relationship to retail yield.
Though they did not grade either steer both appeared similar in lack of marbling, but the one steer had a huge advantage in yield.

It would have been better if both graded the same Maybe they did

There are some old timers around that could benefit from a better understanding just as much as a beginner.

My personal consumption goal is about grading prime. We all want great yield too but I place grade more important than yield. My commercial goal is about dollars. What's going to bring the most money. A funnel butt with a fatty brisket is not going to fetch that many nickels at the sale barn.