Video of 1941 International Gr. Champ Steer owned by Purdue

Help Support CattleToday:

creativecattle

Reaction score
Check out this video of the 1941 International Grand Champion Steer, who was owned by Purdue University. Loyal Alumnus IV, an Angus steer, was selected out of the university herd under the direction of Prof. Carl F. Gobble. The video is a little slow moving, but make sure you watch at 6:03 to see how the University transported the steer around after the International to display their prized animal on a nation-wide tour.
[youtube]uBt9UUi02lw[/youtube]

Wow- that thing was TINY
I guess the miniature people are just going back to normal???

I really enjoyed that video. It reminded me of the cattle my family had when I was a little boy. I like those angus then. I wonder how they've gotten so tall nowa days?

Very neat video with a lot of forgotten history. We really enjoyed it! Firestone Tire & Rubber also purchased the 1946 International Grand Champion Steer shown by Oklahoma A & M and fitted by Orville Deewall, Mike's Father. We thought that you may enjoy seeing a couple photos.

International_Auction_1946.JPG

Royal Jupiter, being auctioned "in the yards" in Chicago.

Royal_Jupiter_King_Sirloin-gray_scale.jpg

Royal Jupiter at his "send off" party at Stillwater, Ok. Herb Carrier, at the halter, was assistant herdsman, and traveled with Royal Jupiter. Second from left is Oklahoma Senator, Robert Kerr, Russell Firestone, Clint Tomson, Secretary of American Shorthorn Association, Dr. Henry G. Bennett, President of Oklahoma A & M College, Dr. W.L. Blizzard, Dean of Agriculture, Dr A.E. Darlow, Head of Animal Husbandry, and Orville Deewall, Beef Cattle Herdsman.

At the conclusion of the educational tour, when Royal Jupiter was harvested, Mr. Firestone had the steer's horns mounted and presented them to Herb Carrier. About 3 years ago, the Carrier Family donated the horns to Oklahoma State University. They now hang the the OSU sale barn.

We forgot to add that we have a booklet Firestone made up for Royal Jupiter. According to it
Royal Jupiter was the 5th International Grand Champion they purchased and toured. 3 4-H steers and 2 University steers. In those days the Universities were quite competitive in the Open Steer Shows around the country. Showing pure bred livestock was quite a draw towards recruiting students. Orville was Herdsman at Oklahoma A&M for 9 years plus 4 years in W.W.II. I have a letter written to him from then Okla. A.&M. President Dr. Oliver Wilham congratulating him on his new position when he moved to Par-Ker Hereford Ranch and expressing The College's gratitude to Dad for his accomplishments with Okla. A.&M.'s Beef Herd and students.

texast":1td5i9m7 said:
I really enjoyed that video. It reminded me of the cattle my family had when I was a little boy. I like those angus then. I wonder how they've gotten so tall nowa days?
Cause the ugly fat and stupid farts are so crossbred with holstien an chianina.

Latest posts