Video auction

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
Anybody buy or sell cattle over the video auction such as Superior or others. Yell me your thoughts good an bad about this. Thanks for the input.

Ask that question on Ranchers.net and you will get more people to answer. Most (not all) people here don't have enough cattle to sell on the video.

i have a friend in atoka ok that runs stocker.
he tried superior and seemed to think he got more for them with the video auction.

I've done this for the last two years and I like it. We weighed them on the farm and got paid after the truck was loaded. They used a 3% shrink. Its also a lot easier to say NO SALE when they are still in your pasture but I was pleased with the price I received. Need to have a good idea of what the calves weigh before you video them cause this can bite you if you are wrong.

Jogeephus":225rei2z said:
I've done this for the last two years and I like it. We weighed them on the farm and got paid after the truck was loaded. They used a 3% shrink. Its also a lot easier to say NO SALE when they are still in your pasture but I was pleased with the price I received. Need to have a good idea of what the calves weigh before you video them cause this can bite you if you are wrong.

Need uniform cattle. Need to allow for a couple they may still want to sort off. Need to know their weight.

Some big pluses to me are you can sell them several months in advance to lock in a price, and their is less concern with when they go through the ring that day.

I sold by video two years ago and got chewed out by a local auctioneer. I told him his commission was too high and the barn owner cut it by 60%. Some bigger operators get a minimum price guarantee from the auction barn also. You need to negotiate...

How does selling in advance work? Do you agree to provide a certain number of head at a certain weight at a specified time? If so, what happens if they are light or heavy? We only have a one way slide - or at least I haven't been able to make it go both ways yet but I am a small producer and can only do this once a year.

Another thing I like about it is that they reward you for doing good herd health practices. In fact, they demand it. They will penalize the liars but will reward you for your extra effort. I like this. Makes you feel good when a buyer asks you to let them know when you are going to sell again.

You pick a delivery date but have to be a little flexible due to truck and pen availability. A lot of folks sell in the summer for fall delivery. That makes the weight estimate more challenging. There are two way slides but I forget the exact terminology.

I suspect you have to have a pretty good handle on your ADG's to figure it close. I don't think I'd have enough skill to do it this way. Maybe one day.

I've only been able to do this twice so far. Hope to continue this method but that's how it worked but I don't know if we have a down slide. Maybe we do. I only had to carry them for about three weeks after they filmed them. I estimated their gain from their weight. They were on ryegrass clover and they gained quicker than I expected and ended up averaging around 50 lbs more than I expected. Or maybe my sample was wrong. Nevertheless, my per head price was good. Much better than I could have gotten at the barn. But on the same not, the buyer got some good disease free and blossomed calves too. I think it is a win win deal for the both of us.

Jogeephus, how do you weigh the calves? One at a time or do you have a larger scale? Is it legal for trade?

gberry":2f6dsaoq said:
Jogeephus, how do you weigh the calves? One at a time or do you have a larger scale? Is it legal for trade?

I have a set of scales but it is not legal for trade and it only weighs one at a time. My neighbor has a larger set that will weigh groups and is legal for trade. So what I do is monitor a sampling of calves with my scales and use these figures for the sale. Once they film them and they are purchased I move them over to my friends farm for pickup and final weighing. If this isn't possible, we can always weigh the truck and calves together.

Latest posts