Vicki the Vet!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a new heifer calf that was born last week. I saw from a distance last week and she looked ok and healthy. Today I notice that she is not walking on her hooves. The are buckling underneath her and she is walking on her ankles. The small joint right above the hooves. Is this serious?? Do I need to get my vet involved? What should I do with the heifer??

I asked for Vicki, but will take any advice. Thanks!! Barrett

[email protected]

It's referred to as "bumble foot", you can catch her and splint the front legs, changing the splint and padding every day. That will take a couple of weeks to clear up, or, you can leave her alone and it will clear up on it's own in the same time.

dunmovin farms

> I have a new heifer calf that was
> born last week. I saw from a
> distance last week and she looked
> ok and healthy. Today I notice
> that she is not walking on her
> hooves. The are buckling
> underneath her and she is walking
> on her ankles. The small joint
> right above the hooves. Is this
> serious?? Do I need to get my vet
> involved? What should I do with
> the heifer??

> I asked for Vicki, but will take
> any advice. Thanks!! Barrett

One thing to add--watch the skin in the area--it can actually be worn thru right down to the bone if left too long. Contracted tendons cause the foot to buckle backwards, ruptured tendons cause the hoof to lift up. They are NOT the same thing and are treated differently. I'm assuming the calf is/was walking on the top of the hoof, thus time or 1/2 3" P VC tubing and padding will work. If it's ruptured tendons, surgery....

Watch her closely to ensure she can get around well enough to nurse, and keep us informed. Sorry about the delay, I've been on call this weekend, and the site was down when I checked earlier!

Good Luck V

The calf is doing just fine. Walking on the hooves. Just a little slower, but is improving every day. Thanks for the post!!

Latest posts