vet's values

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
my vet, a friend, save me on my cow who was loosing weight and bcs. i knew that it did not look correct when i saw my cow last Sunday. she barely had the energy to walk and eat. i saw her breathing heavily and deep. eventually, after i gave water, mucus came out on her nose. first, i thought that she may had parasite correction or needed to de-worm her. immediately, call my vet and indicated that she may have a pneumonia because of heavy mucus in her nose and deep breathing.

he was great to attend my call in need and delay his ski trip for several hours. he was great to make a house call. i don't mind the charges because of his emergency services. for one thing, he save my cow and future calves. the cow is about 5-7 years old and gave me a nice "spunky calf" but strong and great conformation. his service was immeasurable compare the dollar value that he retain the cow for future calving's values.

he, like myself, attended a graduate school with exorbitant amount of debt. most vet graduate owes about 150-250k,just on principle alone-not including the compound interest. you don't start paying it back after 6-9 months after school, but they are charging compound immediately after you have signed the loan. imagined you did not pay your mortgage for the next four years, your compound interest and on top of principle will almost double the original loan. in reality, the bank will foreclose the property immediately and not take a lost. they will not wait a year or four years to reclaim your property.

if i have to call my vet friend, i would not hesitate to think about the cost because his knowledge is immeasurable. it is the hardest field to get into a program because it is so limited in numbers. beside, he has to learn vertebrate or invertebrate animals or fish-that is large scope of knowledge compared to medicine or dentistry. boy- i thanked my friend, who is a vet and saviour. :)

My vet charges reasonable rates. Many times he has 'cut me a break'. I do my best to let him know and show him how much I appreciate those breaks. If its a hot day, he's offered ice cold beverages, cold day--hot beverages. He'll end up leaving with a dozen eggs, 1lb sausage and maybe even a piece of cake or pie.

Most importantly, I have the animal/animals penned up/confined and ready to be tended to when he arrives.

I try to treat people the way I like to be treated.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2zn6ksqo said:
I do my best to let him know and show him how much I appreciate those breaks. If its a hot day, he's offered ice cold beverages, cold day--hot beverages. He'll end up leaving with a dozen eggs, 1lb sausage and maybe even a piece of cake or pie.

Most importantly, I have the animal/animals penned up/confined and ready to be tended to when he arrives.

I try to treat people the way I like to be treated.

Yep... absolutely...sometimes he leaves with a smoked turkey quarter or chicken that's ranch raised as well

Some have a good vet, some have a poor vet, and some have no vet at all. If you have a good vet you should do anything reasonable to keep him or her happy. But too many trips to your farm makes it very a very expensive hobby or if you are one of the few that depend on cattle for at least part of your income it will break you. Call the vet when you need one. But that is an expensive way to learn the cattle business.

I agree that having a good relationship with your vet is a big advantage. We have had the same vet for over 20 years. Used him for dogs and horses for years before we got cattle. He will give advice over the phone and has dispensed "vet only" meds for us to use. He also takes it easy on charges when he does have to come out. His posted rate is $45 for a farm call but we get charged $25, that sort of thing. And we make sure and have the critter(s) caught up and ready to work when he gets here so he doesn't waste his time. I would wager he never went to charm school, and he's especially grumpy when you call him into the clinic at 9 pm to stitch somebody up, but he's a darn good vet and has literally saved the lives of several of our animals.

rkm":3ukxq9ts said:
Some have a good vet, some have a poor vet, and some have no vet at all. If you have a good vet you should do anything reasonable to keep him or her happy. But too many trips to your farm makes it very a very expensive hobby or if you are one of the few that depend on cattle for at least part of your income it will break you. Call the vet when you need one. But that is an expensive way to learn the cattle business.

i agree on that "rkm"- i only use him as an emergency since i am newbie. i tried to read a lot journals, articles and learn from the board previous advises or questions. i know they get expensive but if i have to save a cow and future profits from future calves. it is worth the service and immediate care knowing the value and condition of the cow. but-you are right and correct that it will erode your profit. thanks you "rkm" and all the board's advises. uscangus. :)

My old vet (retired now) was worth his weight in gold to me. He had always worked the livestock like a profesional and was very informative with me. He never went to charm school and was blunt and to the point. Ive had service and medication from him at no charge sometimes. He always answered his phone and was ready with the answers. He treated all my livestock exactly like i would. He talks to them as he works nice slow and gentle. Well until its time to "not" be gentle anymore. Ive helped him work his own cows and alot of rescue work for the county as he has directed me to. He retired last year and i have a new vet. "She" is just a little thing and not willing to share information at first. Now that ive known her for about a year she is starting to loosin up a bit. Shes doing a fine job and im gonna stay with her.

I have no problem with vets getting paid big for their knowledge-- I have a problem with them trying to tie up things legally so that knowledgeable people can't do routine things without them.
I still think having vet techs that can really do common issues(like nurse practitioners) is the only way to make it where veterinary help for the smaller commercial beef person cash flows.
I understand their debts- but if the debt load prices them out of what the market can bear it seems like they need to make some kind of changes(ie real vet techs that can work cheaper).

Howdyjabo":229uswqg said:
I have no problem with vets getting paid big for their knowledge-- I have a problem with them trying to tie up things legally so that knowledgeable people can't do routine things without them.

A--you are right in regard to routine things which can successfully increase your profits and maintain your cash flows.

I still think having vet techs that can really do common issues(like nurse practitioners) is the only way to make it where veterinary help for the smaller commercial beef person cash flows.

A--i,myself, is a small time farmer and the costs and profits are inner twine. but certain emergency is worth the value. but i agree with a vet's tech and their services, just like nurse practitioner or physician assistant if their training is equal as theirs.

I understand their debts- but if the debt load prices them out of what the market can bear it seems like they need to make some kind of changes(ie real vet techs that can work cheaper).

A--i agreed on how market will dictate their services. i recalled as a young dentist that most of the dentists were charging a crown for $1000.00, started a practice, and charged the same service about $600.00. after several months, i became productive and got busy. yes, market will dictate itself. uscangus, :)