VetGun

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought one in March and have been using it all Summer. My experience is it is not effective at all. For example, one of my bulls was COVERED with horn flies last week. I shot him right in the desired spot, TWO times, once on each side. He had just as many flies the next day, and the next, and the next. I see no difference after using the Vet Gun. May as well be shooting them with branch water! Sorry, but it just doesn't work.

Quickdraw Farm":19zqwoua said:
I bought one in March and have been using it all Summer. My experience is it is not effective at all. For example, one of my bulls was COVERED with horn flies last week. I shot him right in the desired spot, TWO times, once on each side. He had just as many flies the next day, and the next, and the next. I see no difference after using the Vet Gun. May as well be shooting them with branch water! Sorry, but it just doesn't work.

I get mixed responses from people that have them. Some say they are game changers, some say they see no change at all.

Bigfoot":3ga9jixe said:
Quickdraw Farm":3ga9jixe said:

I get mixed responses from people that have them. Some say they are game changers, some say they see no change at all.

Thats an awful expensive coin flip!

I bought one and have had pretty good luck with it. Seems like sometimes it does a better job than others and my guess is it has something to do with the time of day and weather conditions on when it's applied.

KW

It's done nothing but rail here. The guys dissatisfied with there's, might have had the meds washed off.

We bought one when they first came out, back in 2011. We saw no reason to upgrade to the new version. I'd throw the old one away, but I have a hard time throwing something in the trash that we paid over $300 for. Ugh.

We brought one this Spring I love it, we dry fired it around them a few times before actually hitting them with the product. Even with the rain it holds the flys off. Ronnie says for him the jury is still out, for me the kid comes out and I get to go shoot things kinda fun.

gizmom

Too Expensive! I would try a Cattle Rub, you can get them from Valley Vet and other place for around $30 bucks and then just soak it in whatever treatment you want and let the cows self medicate as they come and go. I have not personally tried the rubs, but going to next year when we turn out since biting-fly season for me Is about over. Some guys swear by them, others just use treated ear tags but either way it's cheaper than the VetGun and probably with better results (IMO).

Rubs are good C-Ranch, but they are best used along with other type fly control. Rubs alone, in my area are not enough.
IGR + rubs + ear tags or pour ons or vet gun.

greybeard":3e72jq00 said:
Rubs are good C-Ranch, but they are best used along with other type fly control. Rubs alone, in my area are not enough.
IGR + rubs + ear tags or pour ons or vet gun.

Grey beard-Thanks for the info. What brand of poor-on have you used and what were your results? I use a poor-on in the fall when we preg-check to kill lice, have not tried a poor-on for flies. I read a post somewhere that "Sabor"( I think that's what it was) was really good, but I forget who posted it.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing it along. One of the most knowledgeable people I know told me this new wormer (although not labeled for controlling flies), would keep flies off (especially the eyes) for about 90 days. Not sure, cause I haven't used it. I know I've spent $1600 this year on pinkeye, and he hasn't had a single case.

It was on the tip of my tongue when I typed that. Can't think of it at all now. I will keep thinking.

I'm switching to it next spring. I could wallpaper my bedroom with fifty dollar bills with what I spent on pinkeye this year.

I have been lucky this year with no pinkeye, so far this year and now that it's getting cooler the flies have thinned out. Last year was a different story. The thing I hate is all the time the cows spend swatting pesky flies versus eating, so I am sure it has cost me weight gains.