Vetgun

Help Support CattleToday:

But, with practice, you'll be a pro in no time. 8) I've had mine about 4 years now and it works good. You get about 4 weeks of fly protection.

Txpiney":29z3uhqc said:
But, with practice, you'll be a pro in no time. 8) I've had mine about 4 years now and it works good. You get about 4 weeks of fly protection.

Thanks

Yes, we started using it two years ago and found it to be both convenient and effective. Our cattle are pretty spread out and sometimes it is just not feasible to round them up to work them (for fly control). We have found that the cows really don't mind getting hit by the balls and the product starts working fast. Just make sure that you aren't applying when rain is expected anytime soon. As stated above, you will get around 4 weeks of protection.

TN Cattle Man":3ql4hh8v said:
Yes, we started using it two years ago and found it to be both convenient and effective. Our cattle are pretty spread out and sometimes it is just not feasible to round them up to work them (for fly control). We have found that the cows really don't mind getting hit by the balls and the product starts working fast. Just make sure that you aren't applying when rain is expected anytime soon. As stated above, you will get around 4 weeks of protection.
We must be doing something the wrong way! We have utilized Vet Gun for about two years also; however, half the balls haven't ruptured. They sometimes rupture when they land square on the shoulder, etc. If the ball hits the " barrel shaped" rig cage, it normally ricochets off without rupturing. Another trait I dislike is that after you shoot a few balls, then not use it for a week or two, the CO2 cartridge has leaked out the unused CO2. I would prefer a pump, rather than CO2 bottles. We keep the balls from becoming too hot or cold... still not happy with results.

Eugene66":2akl66i5 said:
TN Cattle Man":2akl66i5 said:
We must be doing something the wrong way! We have utilized Vet Gun for about two years also; however, half the balls haven't ruptured. They sometimes rupture when they land square on the shoulder, etc. If the ball hits the " barrel shaped" rig cage, it normally ricochets off without rupturing. Another trait I dislike is that after you shoot a few balls, then not use it for a week or two, the CO2 cartridge has leaked out the unused CO2. I would prefer a pump, rather than CO2 bottles. We keep the balls from becoming too hot or cold... still not happy with results.
Wow... I have personally fired over 500 rounds through my gun and can count on one hand the number of times the balls have bounced off. This usually results because of a poor angle or I am just too far away from the cow. The only aggravating thing I don't like is when I miss! Usually right over their back... with regards to CO2, make sure that you are changing (and/or lubricating your o-rings). There should have been a baggy with a bunch of different o-rings that came with your gun. At the very least, change them prior to first use of the year.

TN Cattle Man":tcha40ie said:
Eugene66":tcha40ie said:
TN Cattle Man":tcha40ie said:
Wow... I have personally fired over 500 rounds through my gun and can count on one hand the number of times the balls have bounced off. This usually results because of a poor angle or I am just too far away from the cow. The only aggravating thing I don't like is when I miss! Usually right over their back... with regards to CO2, make sure that you are changing (and/or lubricating your o-rings). There should have been a baggy with a bunch of different o-rings that came with your gun. At the very least, change them prior to first use of the year.
Thanks for the info. What is your preferred distance? We are normally shooting 20 to 40 feet.

Eugene66":qig4ta61 said:
TN Cattle Man":qig4ta61 said:
Eugene66":qig4ta61 said:
Thanks for the info. What is your preferred distance? We are normally shooting 20 to 40 feet.
I would say 20 feet...