Veterinary Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Our vet don't AI. The AI techs charge $25 plus any drug charges plus $6 board if you leave them. Keep in mind that this doesn't include semen and this is going to them.

talldog":29p56fc1 said:
What do you think a Vet would charge per cow to Ai ???

I've heard of all kind of formulas that vets use. One use to charge the regular "trip charge" just to come out and then would charge $35.00 for the first cow and $15.00 for all after that. He would do the same on palpation but not as expensive, so if you only had one cow to breed it could cost you $100 or more plus semen. Most of the vets I've known are not good AI techs and many can't palpate for crap either.

Depends on the vet. Just like plumbers, they all have different charges.

Our vet charges us $29 if during regular hours and we take them into the clinic. If after hours the cost is more. The vet stores our straws in their tank for free. We have had very good conception rates, 65 -70 % over several years. Sometimes we breed on natural heats and sometimes we sync. We have had almost as good a conception rate on syncs as on natural heats.

Farmgirl

$25/hd to AI... my vet's the only vet in the area I'd let AI my cows. He also lets me keep semen at the clinic for free. Don't care how much the others do or don't charge, if the cow won't settle due to tech error the expenses add up quick.

Vets have a minimum charge for farm visits. Mileage for example. You won't get a visit from a vet or a tech to bred a cow for $25.

mnmtranching":3ufie7qt said:
Vets have a minimum charge for farm visits. Mileage for example. You won't get a visit from a vet or a tech to bred a cow for $25.

I do... but then I only live 2 miles from the clinic.

milkmaid":9vht5cul said:
mnmtranching":9vht5cul said:

I do... but then I only live 2 miles from the clinic.

When he does charge our vets farm call is 10 bucks.

Must be one of those "old school" vets that likes to serve folks. Most of these young guns won't crank the truck for less than $50.

Farmgirl":1z80t7rn said:
Our vet charges us $29 if during regular hours and we take them into the clinic. If after hours the cost is more. The vet stores our straws in their tank for free. We have had very good conception rates, 65 -70 % over several years. Sometimes we breed on natural heats and sometimes we sync. We have had almost as good a conception rate on syncs as on natural heats.

Farmgirl
I can't believe it would be worth $29 to do such a simple thing as AI a cow, especially when you bring her in. Add to that the fact that your only achieving 65-70% conception! I would have to believe that in most beef cows you would have considerably better percentage than that if everything is done properly. If I had to pay that much to have my cows bred artificially I would rather just run a bull. On second thought, I would take the money I pay the vet or tech and take an AI class and do it myself. It doesn't take long to recover the cost of the school.

novaman":b1qyce7c said:
Farmgirl":b1qyce7c said:

Farmgirl
I can't believe it would be worth $29 to do such a simple thing as AI a cow, especially when you bring her in. Add to that the fact that your only achieving 65-70% conception! I would have to believe that in most beef cows you would have considerably better percentage than that if everything is done properly. If I had to pay that much to have my cows bred artificially I would rather just run a bull. On second thought, I would take the money I pay the vet or tech and take an AI class and do it myself. It doesn't take long to recover the cost of the school.

This is all well and good if you get good results. Somewhere along the line you realize you're doing pretty darn good at it or you're not good at it at all....I know one man that took the AI course, started breeding dairy cattle and a year latter they were almost out of business because he didnt' get one in 50 bred. This was a big fine operation with lots of money going thru it but not a lot of common sense. They basically started from scratch and bought bulls.

When we sold out of the dairy business another dairyman offered my wife $80,000 a year to do nothing but select the sires breed his cattle and that was nearly 10 years ago.

I know one man that took the AI course, started breeding dairy cattle and a year latter they were almost out of business because he didnt' get one in 50 bred.

Wow. I would have thought luck would get him some.

My farm previous to this was one of twenty dairy farm entrances on the one section of the road - about five or six miles. Three of those farmers were AI technicians. I don't know how many had done the training to do their own herds - me, the girl who relief milked for me, the guy who farmed my surplus heifers for a year.
It's a good situation to be in. The techs work four hours a day during the mating season, but they're a phone call away at any time of the year.

When I completed school I opened a custom AI business. We moved to the other side of the mountains and I did the custom AI there too then eventually also got hired as a relief tech for a couple of dairys for when they're herdsman was around. Made more money relief breeding then I ever did doing the custom deal. But I enjoyed the custom deal a lot more.
All that is the leadin to, you may be able to start doing some AI work for small herds that wouldn;t usaully think of AI but always wonder how they'll get their cow(s) bred.

regolith":1rg4ygoj said:
I know one man that took the AI course, started breeding dairy cattle and a year latter they were almost out of business because he didnt' get one in 50 bred.

Wow. I would have thought luck would get him some.
My farm previous to this was one of twenty dairy farm entrances on the one section of the road - about five or six miles. Three of those farmers were AI technicians. I don't know how many had done the training to do their own herds - me, the girl who relief milked for me, the guy who farmed my surplus heifers for a year.
It's a good situation to be in. The techs work four hours a day during the mating season, but they're a phone call away at any time of the year.

It did...about 1 in 50.

Eastern Breeders shows up and charges 15 bucks to breed the cow at our place

Heck they even store our semen for us

Last bill for storage was - I think 15 bucks - and they hold a lot of straws for us - and we never worry about N replacement or tank issues

Cost to come out and breed is the same - 15 bucks. Every animal after that is around 9 bucks a shot - plus our semen

These companies mostly started out on the dairy side but now all carry beef and some even carry sheep and goat genetics

Different areas are serviced by different companies - Semex, Genervations, Eastern Breeders or similar companies - most started in Canada but are now world wide

Wisconsin has several companies that have branched out into the U.S. of A. - and they store at their facility for you. They will also come to your place and breed for you. I know Semex is there because I have used them - in fact they are looking for a whole bunch of folks to come work for them:

District Sales Representative - Northern New York, USA

Region Manager - Northeast Region, USA

District Sales Representative - Nationwide, USA

District Sales Representative - Central Pennsylvania, USA

District Sales Representative - Virginia & North Carolina, USA

Consignment Representative - Oklahoma, USA

Independent Beef Distributor - Nationwide, USA

I am surprized of the comments here - 29 bucks but you bring the cow to them - I would not be dealing with that outfit - far too expensive - fine for a hobby person but not for someone in the business to make money.

Almost every breed association has connections to genetic distributors and those distributors will provide AI as a service - all you have to do is a little research and make a few phone calls.

Best to all

Bez+

Latest posts