Veterinarian relationship.

Help Support CattleToday:

It's crazy here, we have a vet that we've used, 12 miles away. He wouldn't give me an aspirin, but the boss can get nuflor. I have another guy, 15 miles away, that weve used on our lease place, and I can get whatever with a call or email, swing by and pick it up. Both have facilities.

Veterinarians operate under the rules and regulations of their state. These regulations are law and there are consequences of breaking the law. Vets operating across a state line have to be licensed in both states and follow the different rules depending on the location where the service is delivered. There are also federal rules associated with providing of some drugs including paperwork that must be correct and in place when the authorities appear at the clinic for an audit. Same as for a medical doctor. No vet wants to be accused of violating those laws. Some of those rules may be viewed similar to the speed limit laws and some may be viewed similar to murder laws. But they are all laws. We have all heard of a few "pain management" doctors that dispense opioids to anyone as a profit center. When caught, they sometimes lose their license and career and go to jail. That is the extreme case. When there is a good relationship established, a vet may feel OK about providing assistance including drugs based on past history and confidence in the person, their ability and the relationship even if he has not seen the particular animal in question. If there is not an established relationship, a vet is going to be more cautious in dispensing drugs. Lutalyse will cause abortions, in people as well as cows. Some people take pain pills that are dispensed for animals. Vets have to be cautious with people that just walk in and ask for drugs for animals that have not been examined. If new "customers" walk in and say that they need a 12 gauge needle for their grandfather's horse and they have several piercings, the vet is going to be skeptical, even though supplying needles may not be regulated in their state. The vet is probably not trying to be mean or trying to force an expensive farm call. They may just be making an assessment as to risk on their part and trying to follow the law. Some people are crazy, get upset about something and then complain to the vet board. Vets don't need problems. Relationship is key.

Latest posts