Vet shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

Very true article. Talking to one of the local vets here, he said that without the small animal practice he probably could not make it. He can treat several small animals for double the money that one service call on one cow would generate. People have to bring there cattle to the clinic whenever posable. I was at the clinic the other day when an 18 wheeler backed up with a load. The vet told me he could run the cattle through his ficilities cheaper than makeing a service call even on large numbers of cattle. He could oversee the treatments while still working on other patients that come in.
It just becomes a matter of economics.

So very true! When a farm call by a Vet may be $50 with a "treatment" fee of $12 with 1-2 hours away from the Clinic, the small animal practice charging $150 to treat the "designer dog, fluffy" in 30 minutes or less...well we all know the answer here...lol.

Also, not all cattle people (especially the hobby people) have quality cattle management & handling facilities for the Vet to safely treat, brand, and/or vaccinate large animals. Vet's are only human...they don't want to get hurt...

;-)

Wish I had the money to quit and go back to school. When I graduated from college all the people "in the know" advised against vet school - said it was too difficult to get into and wasn't worth it financially.

horse's and small animals is where the money's at. being honest cattlemen will starve a vet to death. cant hardly blame a vet after spending years on school and thousands of dollars. too have too go out and rope a prolapsed cow because the farmer aint got the proper facility. they didnt spend all that time and money just too play cowboy . are put up with cattlemen who wait too the last minute to do something. i do as much as i can myself because vets are almost impossible to get out.

Just depends on your area. In areas where ther are alot of cattle there usually enough cow vets, it's just sorting out the ones that know what you expect from them.

Also, more and more cattleman are training them selves or workers to do what the vet does. About the only thing I dont feel doing is a C-section. I was taught in college, and have never done one by myself, but its one of those things where I would rather be able to blame someone else. All we have used the vet for the past couple of years is to BANGS heifers.

:D :D :D

Sorry... this is good news for me... I know it's not for the farmers. I just hope that there will still be a need for large animal vets in 3 years and 2 months and change...

Glad I am going into a profession where, if I don't do something stupid and flunk out, I am pretty well guaranteed a job!

TCFC

ALACOWMAN":3tbnlejh said:
horse's and small animals is where the money's at. being honest cattlemen will starve a vet to death. cant hardly blame a vet after spending years on school and thousands of dollars. too have too go out and rope a prolapsed cow because the farmer aint got the proper facility. they didnt spend all that time and money just too play cowboy . are put up with cattlemen who wait too the last minute to do something. i do as much as i can myself because vets are almost impossible to get out.
======
A smart vet will ask questions and know the facilities. I wouldn't go when the conditions are not considerate of my time and safety.

The cost for a large animal call must be understood. The vet has invested a lot of money,time,hard work and is entitled. Don't forget his liability insurance isn't cheap either.

had the dog at the vet last week and she told me that she hauled a cow to another vet to pull a calf
said it was worth the 150 dollars because it was cold and getting dark....

so - if they will pay another vet their own money -
how can we ever expect to have enough money to get them to come work on our animals. :shock:

Ok, my thoughts on this issue.....

I get paid a lot more money working with small animals, I can do more progressive medicine, I'm rarely told that "a bullet is cheaper doc"....and I can usually get more co-operation on treatment. Plus it's warmer, cleaner and I have amazing facilities, technicians and equiptment to use.

Having said that, however, I still do large animal as well. I happen to like driving, I like working with cattle and horses. My clients won't wait until an animal is almost dead from trying every idea they have to save it to call me....because there isn't much point then! It's a challenge to diagnose with almost no data, and it can be incredibly rewarding. My biggest complaint from what I read on this board is that all who complain about how expensive a vet is, how they do everything for themselves to save all that money, then complain that they can't get one out because they prefer to do small animals instead. What exactly are the vets supposed to live on while waiting for the call which will rarely come? Would you want to be poor (which vets certainly can be), wondering how to make your payments and then getting complaints on how expensive your bill is??? Try comparing a vet bill to a plumber sometime. Nothing against plumbers, but a vet has a heck of a lot more expensive education.....

Sorry if I'm ranting, I was up all night and need to go to bed...

V the v

We have our vet out to do things that we could do but we feel that keeping the realtionship alive and profitable for him is in our best interest. If I haven't called him for a year I would think he might prefer his bed to an emergency call. Our vet has been great. He educates us, will advise over the phone and has always come when we needed him. He charges $35.00 for the trip. But we do respect his time. We have always had the animal up and don't wait til they are on death's door.

It is difficult to get vets to move to a rural area and come work in an area where you have to travel long distances.
At one point we had three vets in our county and then we were down to one (Who needed to retire). He sold out and we now have a great vet who loves his job and if he can get his horse and rope a calf he is just tickled to death. Yes he did it for us this summer on a calf with a chin full of porcupine quills.
I kept missing.
I wouldn't trade this vet for all the city docs in the world. He's like the old ones you always heard about willing to visit and come out even when it is dark and cold.
Vicky, I would rather pay the vet and have a live animal then pay a lazy no good electrician. Sorry to any one I offend, but it happened, his bill was more then we spend on the vet in a year.
Know any vet looking for a job?