Vet Say's my heifer is a Bred -- and a Partial Free Martin

Help Support CattleToday:

zmohammed1981

Reaction score
My Vet checked my heifer that was refusing to stand for the bull for months on end lo and behold she was pregnant -- less than 6 months in May 2019.

Per the Vet her reproductive tract doesn't appear to be correctly developed and when palpating the artery circulating blood to the fetus there was a shallow pulse. The Vulva is smaller that it should be in a Holstein her size (she is 2.5 years old).

Has anyone seen anything like this before - a partial free martin with an under developed reproductive tract but still pregnant.

Per the Vet -- its unlikely that she will deliver as the calf may just get reabsorbed -- alternatively if she does deliver she may not be able to pass the calf.

I understand i'm providing limited information but looking for perspective.

Holstein Heifer
Lowline Black Angus Bull

Sell her for slaughter asap to avoid complications.

Sorry... I know that's not very 'woke' of me in the 'daze' of transgender acceptance,
but it's the best advice I can give.

p.s.
I see you bought her as a bottle calf...
for perspective someone probably dumped her off at sale barn knowing she was a free martin.
Expensive lesson to learn, but try to deal with reputable sellers/cattlemen, so at least you know
what you are getting when you write the check. :tiphat:

I have seen a heifer like that have a calf successfully. Whether or not to keep her depends on how much you like gambling.

Buck Randall said:
Whether or not to keep her depends on how much you like gambling.
Really?!?

What value would you put on a sale barn bottle calf Holstein heifer now over 30 months of age with
an abnormally small birth canal and bred less than 6 months that would make it worth any gamble over slaughter price?

Have you seen how low the prices are for Good Springing Holsteins?

Son of Butch said:
Buck Randall said:
Whether or not to keep her depends on how much you like gambling.
Really?!?

What value would you put on a sale barn bottle calf Holstein heifer now over 30 months of age with
an abnormally small birth canal and bred less than 6 months that would make it worth any gamble over slaughter price?

Have you seen how low the prices are for Good Springing Holsteins?
Money probably isn't the primary concern here. That heifer ate any profit she had in her over a year ago. If zmohammed is attached to her and wants to give it a try, I don't see much harm in it. She'll still have the same value as a slaughter animal in 6 months if things don't work out.

"She'll still have the same value as a slaughter animal in 6 months if things don't work out."

that is assuming she survives giving birth...

"Per the Vet -- its unlikely that she will deliver as the calf may just get reabsorbed -- alternatively if she does deliver she may not be able to pass the calf"

At this point she is more a giant dog -- bigger than my Great Danes lol.

The vet thinks if she makes it to term she wont be able to calf without a c-section.

Going to have her (the vet) come in the next week or so for a status check to see if she is still in fact pregnant or if the calf has been reabsorbed.

The back story is got her as a bottle calf when I bought 3 bulls she was 1 of the bulls mistakenly. The other 2 bulls ended up dieing from scours a few days later and every time she urinated I thought it was the most explosive scours I had ever seen. She obviously ended up making it since i medicated her and tubed her and literally pulled out all the stops on what I thought was the only bull left. Until I took an actual look at the plumbing and was very surprised at what was missing. I think I paid 20$ for her as a day old bottle calf -- 60 for all 3 -- typically the bulls are dirt cheap (5$ per sometimes) and the day old heifers are 70$ and above depending on breed.