Vet fees

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Amazed at the difference in fees between 2 area vets. One clinic about 7 miles away wanted $115 or so to BSE on a bull and a heifer preg check, another one 25 miles away did it for $58. Wonder why our local vet is losing business? Since the clinic changed hands seem like small animals is all he wants.

The Vet wanting to have a small animal practice is there choice in the field. You would not want someone to question your motive for wanting a cow-calf operation as apposed to feeding out steers for slaughter. :cowboy:

mwj":2ptcertk said:
The Vet wanting to have a small animal practice is there choice in the field. You would not want someone to question your motive for wanting a cow-calf operation as apposed to feeding out steers for slaughter. :cowboy:
Yes, I understand their choice is since it is their business. He bought out a long time vet that had a good large and small animal practice, only vet in our county so not lots of choices for cattle producers here locally. If he wants to do nothing but small animals more power to him, just don't complain about how hard times are when you run business away.

Vet semen tested here on Friday. It is 55 for the call, 90 for the first bull, 75 for the 2nd and 55 for every one after that.

Folks spend a lot more money on their dogs and cats. Also dogs and cats come to them, no wasted time In a truck drive to a farm. And I want lay the vet up if he gets kicked by a dog.

Aaron":jtusxbkk said:
Vet semen tested here on Friday. It is 55 for the call, 90 for the first bull, 75 for the 2nd and 55 for every one after that.

Do those figures include chute charge? I'm out of the loop on prices anymore so can't say what vets charge here.

The most popular vet who does a lot of work in a 100 mile radius of his base has a Silencer hydraulic chute behind his Duramax pickup. The chute runs off hydraulics on the pickup. I like it because the idling pickup is very quiet compared to an engine drive power unit.

I pay $25 for a BSE. We haul the bulls to the sale barn cuz they have a bigger chute.

John SD":1420zpth said:
Aaron":1420zpth said:

Do those figures include chute charge? I'm out of the loop on prices anymore so can't say what vets charge here.

The most popular vet who does a lot of work in a 100 mile radius of his base has a Silencer hydraulic chute behind his Duramax pickup. The chute runs off hydraulics on the pickup. I like it because the idling pickup is very quiet compared to an engine drive power unit.

No such thing here. Either you have chute of your own, for semen testing or preg-checking or whatever, or it don't get done.

Aaron":hvlea06z said:
John SD":hvlea06z said:
Aaron":hvlea06z said:

No such thing here. Either you have chute of your own, for semen testing or preg-checking or whatever, or it don't get done.

All I ever had for larger animals was a Formost headgate. Could only block bulls in the alley with it. A lot of guys here have old manual chutes but don't use them much anymore. Mostly red and green Powder River , a few WW, and Pearson.

The vet must charge pretty reasonable for the hydraulic rig and often includes a guy to run it. The old chute often sets outside the corral while the vet's chute gets used. Often see it parked all over the country so you know what area he is working in the next day.

My closest neighbor has his own Hi-Qual chute. Runs it with his JD4000 or 9030 bi-di.

John SD":1b7avqwb said:
Aaron":1b7avqwb said:
John SD":1b7avqwb said:

All I ever had for larger animals was a Formost headgate. Could only block bulls in the alley with it. A lot of guys here have old manual chutes but don't use them much anymore. Mostly red and green Powder River , a few WW, and Pearson.

The vet must charge pretty reasonable for the hydraulic rig and often includes a guy to run it. The old chute often sets outside the corral while the vet's chute gets used. Often see it parked all over the country so you know what area he is working in the next day.

My closest neighbor has his own Hi-Qual chute. Runs it with his JD4000 or 9030 bi-di.

Washing out the chute after every farm visit would get old, for me, real quick.