Very thick bloody discharge?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I have a 3/4 angus 1/4 hereford heifer who is 21 mo. old. She got in with the neighbors bull last summer at about 9 or 10 mos. old and got bred.( she came from my best cow who is a very fertile excellent mother) Well she had a calf this spring and had a little nerve damage on her leg and the calf lived for about a week but the young heifer would not let the calf nurse and the calf ended up dying. The heifer recovered just fine and seems healthy now but I turned a bull in with her August first and she has been cycling right on schedule but continues to come into heat. last weekend she was obviously in heat and i'm sure the bull bred her but sunday I noticed a bloody discharge coming out of her and Walking through the pasture I found what looked like a bloody pile of liver chunks, enough to fill a soup bowl. Any ideas on what is going on with her. I will finish her out and send her to the butcher at the end of December if she's not bred but I'm not sure whats going on with her. Any input is appreciated.

Could go either way. I have seen bloody discharge from a heifer after insemination when it took and when it didn't!

ohiosteve":xampnr8k said:
Ever have a similar experience with a heifer bred way too early 3waycross?

No but if I had to guess I would guess she didn't take. Don't take that to the bamk. We had a sililar experience with the Blk heifer I loaned out for a 4H project. She bled after she was AI'd and still turned up pregnant(verified with ultrasound) a month later.

Slight amounts of bleeding 3/4 days post heat is pretty normal as is rectal bleeding after AI. The liverish looking stuff is what I'm concerned about. I have seen cows with a damaged and scarred repro tract after calving very young. Only saw it after butchering.

I agree dun I'm leaning real hard towards shipping her. She's got too much going against her it's just a shame as her Dam is my best cow I had real high hopes for her. Oh well, can't win em all.

The pile of chunks sounds to me like she had a retained placenta that she finally passed after multiple heat cycles. Did it have "buttons" in it that looked like off-shaped brains? If so then it's peices of placenta that she didn't pass that have been infecting her uterus for a while now.
Ship her. I can't remember the actual percentages but a cow that is allowed to carry pyometria for sixty days loses somewhere around fifty percent of her ability to concieve in the future as her uterus begins to wall off the infection which leads to scar tissue...In short, even if you get her cleaned up, she'll most likely always be a problem.

she probably tore something in there AND has a recurring infection. did she pass the calf or did you have to pull it.

Latest posts