Very Sick Grandma...Just Awful

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Totally disgusting. If you have ever burned your head curling your hair, you think you are going to die. I don't know how that grandma could have done this to any person...little lone a 2 year old.

FORT WORTH -- The burn marks went from the 2-year-old girl's head to the bottom of her feet.

Multiple first- and second-degree burns were discovered across the girl's body last summer as she sat on a chair at a relative's Oklahoma City home.

What caused the burns? A curling iron, prosecutors said Tuesday.

The girl's great-grandmother, Saundra Patterson, 65, went on trial Tuesday, accused of repeatedly using the iron to burn 10 percent of her great granddaughter's body at the family's Haslet home.

Burn marks also were discovered in the girl's vaginal area, according to opening day testimony by an Oklahoma emergency technician.

Patterson is charged with injury to a child, and if convicted, she faces a maximum of life in prison and a $10,000 fine.

The Haslet woman is eligible for probation, according to Tarrant County criminal court records.

Patterson, who had custody of the 2-year-old and her then-5-year-old sister, went to visit relatives in Oklahoma City on July 4, 2008. The girls are now in foster care, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

"Police got an anonymous call about an injured child there in Oklahoma City," Tarrant County Assistant District Keith Harris said Tuesday. Assistant District Attorney Bill Vassar also is prosecuting the case.

When police arrived at the Oklahoma City home, 82-year-old Ruby Hill told police that there wasn't an injured child in the home. Hill is the great-great-grandmother of the 2-year-old, according to The Oklahoman newspaper in Oklahoma City.

But Oklahoma City patrol Sgt. Gregory Kennedy testified Tuesday that he searched the house and found the girl in a bedroom.

"I picked her up as best as I could so as not to hurt her. She just had marks all over her," Kennedy said. "She didn't say a thing."'

On Tuesday, Oklahoma emergency crews testified that the sight of the girl's injuries shocked them Time and time again, defense attorney Tom Zachary questioned witnesses on Tuesday if they knew how the burn marks got on the girl.

Each answered, no.

Prosecutors believe the injuries may have happened on July 1, 2008 while Patterson and her great-granddaughters were at Patterson's Haslet home.

While the jury was out of the courtroom, Dr. Debra Shropshire , an Oklahoma City pediatrician, testified Tuesday afternoon that the girl had been abused because of the number of burns on her, the location of the burns and the degree of her burns.

The jury of nine women and three men were to continue hear testimony today in Criminal District Court No. 371.

In November, Ruby Hill was charged with child neglect on suspicion that she failed to seek medical attention for the burned toddler.

Hill told Oklahoma City police on July 4, 2008 that she did not want to believe the burns were that serious, according to The Oklahoman.

Hill also said she didn't get any assistance for the girl because she didn't want to cause trouble for Patterson, The Oklahoman reported.

Information was unavailable on the status of Hill's case

How shocking. Words fail me. I'm not suprised about the little girl not saying anything. First of all, she probably hasn't had a lot of mental stimulation and I'm betting she has no vocabulary anway. Secondly, she's learned not to cry because it only makes it worse. A real shame. Poor child.

This is so outrages if I made a comment that about what I'm thinking I would be banned from CT. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cal

Child abuse is the one subject that can really make my blood boil. And like Calman, I must refrain from sharing my thoughts on how to handle the subject.

Good Words fail me and I'm not usually speechless, but I like Cal want to remain on the boards, and lets hope she gets her comeuppance somewhere.

Latest posts