VERY sick calf & nobody knows what's wrong!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf that we got 11 days ago, and she is the only one still alive out of 5. The others had bloody scours, and my vet said one other one definitely had pneumonia. She has been seen by the vet about 5 times, and he doesn't know what's wrong with her. She had a touch of the scours a few days ago, but I gave her the beef broth remedy(which the vet ok'd) and that's gone, but she is VERY weak, has a very dry nose (stuffy I think), and she can't stand or walk for very long. She is currently residing in my kitchen, since my barn isn't heated, and we've had freezing temps for the last couple of days. She is still sucking & finishing her bottle, and we started her on penicillin last night, since we've tried everything else (drugs). The weakness seems to be greatest in her back legs. Any suggestions??????

[email protected]

Weak immune system caused by lack of colostrum or lack of nutrition in the mother.

Try selenium but it may well be far to little to late. The calf needs milk high in fat, that it has an appetite is good, but sometimes an weak immune system is too much to overcome.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> I have a calf that we got 11 days
> ago, and she is the only one still
> alive out of 5. The others had
> bloody scours, and my vet said one
> other one definitely had
> pneumonia. She has been seen by
> the vet about 5 times, and he
> doesn't know what's wrong with
> her. She had a touch of the scours
> a few days ago, but I gave her the
> beef broth remedy(which the vet
> ok'd) and that's gone, but she is
> VERY weak, has a very dry nose
> (stuffy I think), and she can't
> stand or walk for very long. She
> is currently residing in my
> kitchen, since my barn isn't
> heated, and we've had freezing
> temps for the last couple of days.
> She is still sucking &
> finishing her bottle, and we
> started her on penicillin last
> night, since we've tried
> everything else (drugs). The
> weakness seems to be greatest in
> her back legs. Any
> suggestions??????

SOUNDS LIKE PNEUMONIA! HAVE YOU TRIED MYCOTIL? I HAVE FOUND THAT THE COMBINATION OF MYCOTIL AND BAYTRIL WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PNEUMONIA AND THE BAYTRIL HAS BEEN AFFECTIVE FOR THE SCOURS. ALSO FOR THE SCOURS I HAVE FOUND THAT HUMAN IMODIUM AD IS EFFECTIVE ALSO. ADD LIQUID TO MILK OR GIVE TABLETS BY MOUTH. GOOD LUCK!

[email protected]

>

SOUNDS LIKE PNEUMONIA! HAVE YOU
> TRIED MYCOTIL? I HAVE FOUND THAT
> THE COMBINATION OF MYCOTIL AND
> BAYTRIL WILL TAKE CARE OF THE
> PNEUMONIA AND THE BAYTRIL HAS BEEN
> AFFECTIVE FOR THE SCOURS. ALSO FOR
> THE SCOURS I HAVE FOUND THAT HUMAN
> IMODIUM AD IS EFFECTIVE ALSO. ADD
> LIQUID TO MILK OR GIVE TABLETS BY
> MOUTH. GOOD LUCK!

Watch that Imodium AD it will stop the intestine cotractions and kill a calf faster than scours

We did a post mortem on a calf after killing one with Imodium, the gut was solid and black the vet collage said one quarter to half pill Max

[email protected]

Latest posts