very new at this (can cows eat bread)

Help Support CattleToday:

thank you. I have a white face herdford that i have had for about a year and we have pigs and we feed them the bread and one day my son gave her a dinner roll and she seamed to love it so i wanted to make sure that it would not hurt her.

another ? i bought her for $600.00 and she was pregant and gave birth to a healthy calf is that a good price?

redcow":3hnd8qs0 said:
thank you. I have a white face herdford that i have had for about a year and we have pigs and we feed them the bread and one day my son gave her a dinner roll and she seamed to love it so i wanted to make sure that it would not hurt her.

another ? i bought her for $600.00 and she was pregant and gave birth to a healthy calf is that a good price?

Sounds like a good price to me. Would depend on how good of a mother she is and what kind of calf she weans off though.

Good deal on the cow...

As to feeding bread...there is a local bakery that sells scraps for $60/ton delivered. Just out of curiosity mainly, I bought a steer from a guy that was fed the bred "suppliment"... never again!
The amount of white fat on the carcass was scary, he had a 45% cutting loss due to the fat...our butcher saved it for me as he knew that I wouldn't be happy. I haven't eaten white bread for a number of years and after slaughtering that animal I'm sure glad that I don't.
IMO the bread is nothing but empty calories; save it for the hogs.
And that's my two bits worth...Dave Mc

Interesting post SusieDavid. I regularly feed the cows "feed" bread from the local Thrift Store. It's cheap feed, and lots of calories. The cows do love it, and they seem to stay in good condition on it as well. I feed about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs per head per feeding, so they're not on full feed of bread.

I've never processed one that was on a bread diet. A good friend that has a feed lot in Wisconsin uses bread as well, but he has a full time nutritionist, and I'll bet he doesn't feed it "straight" either.

I priced the thrift store bread once a long time ago...one pound loaf for 25cents and you had to be ahead of the hog folks.
I buy cracked corn for ten cents a pound...a 3/4 ton long bed can hold 3280# slightly mounded.
Guess which I suppliment.
I get to see first hand what our feed does to the animals as we slaughter on the farm. Not putting down any feed methods but we produce some great beef on pasture, alfalfa and a little bit of cracked corn.
DMc

Last load of bread we bought from the "day old" bread store cost us $5.00 for what I'd guess was 300 lbs of bread. I don't consider it ideal supplement, but I do like the price. I just don't feed alot of it.

We occasionally get loads of bread to supplemental feed our Dairy cows. Most of them enjoy it very much.

Some of the bread is the traditional white bread - lacking all nutritional value, but some is organic whole grain breads.

One of the older cows is funny. She loves the white bread. You try to slip her a piece of that organic whole grain stuff, she'll pick it up in her mouth and drop it as soon as she tastes it. She's old school...doesn't want any of that organic crap...she wants the white bread!

All other cows love the white and organic bread equally.

NHFarmer":1us441qq said:
We occasionally get loads of bread to supplemental feed our Dairy cows. Most of them enjoy it very much.

Some of the bread is the traditional white bread - lacking all nutritional value, but some is organic whole grain breads.

One of the older cows is funny. She loves the white bread. You try to slip her a piece of that organic whole grain stuff, she'll pick it up in her mouth and drop it as soon as she tastes it. She's old school...doesn't want any of that organic crap...she wants the white bread!

All other cows love the white and organic bread equally.

How funny! :lol2:

Alice

Yes, we've fed bred to our brood cows. It's a source of calories when the hay is low quality. Make sure your protein levels are adequate.

Important -- make sure no animal products are used in making it, as in no lard, no tallow, etc.

Latest posts