Vertical Farms

Help Support CattleToday:

It may just be me, but it seems to me that all the city folk have to do it put plant trays in every window they've got, plus put a garden on top of the roof, and any grass lawn spots out in front of their building, and they could produce a lot of their own food. Personally I don't see why they need to build more buildings in the cities anyway. There are too many buildings and people anyway.

brandonm_13":2hrtbzhp said:
It may just be me, but it seems to me that all the city folk have to do it put plant trays in every window they've got, plus put a garden on top of the roof, and any grass lawn spots out in front of their building, and they could produce a lot of their own food. Personally I don't see why they need to build more buildings in the cities anyway. There are too many buildings and people anyway.

I have thought this for a long time. But don't tell anybody I said so. :secret: Somebody miight think that I am not politically correct. :roll:

I still think Malthus was correct when he said war, pestilence , disease would thin out the herd. Yep, that's the ticket.

They've been growing stuff like this at Epcot in Orlando since Jimmy Carter was governor.. Works fabulously well. It's been proven. The professor just needs to get some private funding and have at it. See if he can turn a profit. Use of grant money for this experiment will lead to vast waste and cost overuns and subsequent certain failure to show profitability.

Ryder":1sya9k2e said:
brandonm_13":1sya9k2e said:

I have thought this for a long time. But don't tell anybody I said so. :secret: Somebody miight think that I am not politically correct. :roll:

I still think Malthus was correct when he said war, pestilence , disease would thin out the herd. Yep, that's the ticket.
All you have to do is look at me and tell I'm not politically correct. Besides, I'd rather offend others by not following the trend, than offend everything I stand for by following the herds charging the cliff.

ga. prime":34b94rv7 said:
They've been growing stuff like this at Epcot in Orlando since Jimmy Carter was governor.. Works fabulously well. It's been proven. The professor just needs to get some private funding and have at it. See if he can turn a profit. Use of grant money for this experiment will lead to vast waste and cost overuns and subsequent certain failure to show profitability.

But we both know he'll get the grant. He's linking in "climate change", "local food", and letting the rest of the US (the part in farmland anyway) reforest itself. All of those sell pretty well in NYC. And the thing will be run by a philosophy professor.

john250":2q1xbkvs said:
ga. prime":2q1xbkvs said:

But we both know he'll get the grant. He's linking in "climate change", "local food", and letting the rest of the US (the part in farmland anyway) reforest itself. All of those sell pretty well in NYC. And the thing will be run by a philosophy professor.

The grant is a lock! He'll probably get nominated for a Nobel prize.

An actual indoor farm developed at Cornell University growing hydroponic lettuce was able to produce as many as 68 heads per square foot per year.

HOW???????????

Lets say you grow small heads of lettuce and can get 4 heads per square foot at any one time. That means you will need 17 crops per year. [68 / 4 = 17]

365 days per year divided by 17 crops = 21.47 days to grow a crop. :roll:

What am I not seeing here???????

That might turn out to be an innovative way to produce some veggies, especially if they use the existing blighted buildings that every major city seems to have. But they are never gonna be able to produce enough corn, wheat, rice, and other staples that way.

Tommy Ruyle":q7rt2fqg said:
An actual indoor farm developed at Cornell University growing hydroponic lettuce was able to produce as many as 68 heads per square foot per year.

HOW???????????

Lets say you grow small heads of lettuce and can get 4 heads per square foot at any one time. That means you will need 17 crops per year. [68 / 4 = 17]

The stuff is grown using volumetric rather than rectilinear dimensions.

ga. prime":1czac6mh said:

Not neccessarily. It the fella charges for eco-tours and publishes a book or two on "How To", bashes the agricultural industry, makes a few false claims on safety and enhanced health benefits then he is sure to make money. Facility itself may lose but that's not important. Seems I've read that volumetricly grown vegetables were 7 times more healthy than regular veggies and I think they also sequester 50 times the CO2.

Tommy Ruyle":3944i0t6 said:

HOW???????????

Maybe lights and mirrors. I guess could be stacking upward with east and west sun light source.

Tommy Ruyle":2l581fn7 said:

HOW???????????

Note the key word "aeroponics". If set up correctly, you could use a aeroponics root misting system instead of an ebb and flow. By using root misting, you could grow heads of lettuce on the top, bottom, and sides of the system. How many heads of lettuce could you stack in a 1 cubic foot box? I figure you could get at least 18 or so in a cubic foot. If you can stack them in a cubic foot, you can grow them. The key would be root misting. With ebb & flow, everything would have to grow on top.

It's do-able. All it takes is some pvc pipe, misters, a timer, and a pump. To max it out, you would need supplemental lighting. LED's are getting big in this. High light output, low energy input cost, low heat producing properties.

Jogeephus":2zoxvbqn said:
ga. prime":2zoxvbqn said:

Not neccessarily. It the fella charges for eco-tours and publishes a book or two on "How To", bashes the agricultural industry, makes a few false claims on safety and enhanced health benefits then he is sure to make money. Facility itself may lose but that's not important. Seems I've read that volumetricly grown vegetables were 7 times more healthy than regular veggies and I think they also sequester 50 times the CO2.

Good points, Jo. There's some serious money to be made in Eco-Tours. And just think of the charitable donations that will pour in from people who want to "save the planet".

Latest posts