Vermeer Super I string question

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis

Reaction score
I think I recall there are several here familiar with Vermeer balers? I bought a 505 Super I recently and had a question on how the electric tie works. What exactly pulls the string into start wrapping the bale? Do I need to be feeding in some hay like the "old" balers or does the roller grab it?
Seems like it cuts the string very close to the end of the tubes (dual arms), close enough that the string may slide back in the tube. I haven't used it to bale yet, I want to make sure I know what it needs to do before I start. Thanks

No you don't need to feed hay in to get the string to go. It will grab it and pull it through. There should be a brush inside the metal tube to keep the string from coming out of the tube when it's cut. The brush is located on the back side of the tube where the string first goes in.

Thanks, now I see it. I just needed to run it all the way in and out and now it makes sense. Seems the previous owner didn't use the brushes. I found one in the twine box, should probably order a couple more in case I need them. He used sisal twine, I would expect the brushes are more important with plastic.

M.Magis said:
He used sisal twine, I would expect the brushes are more important with plastic.

You're correct. Without the brushes, plastic twine has a tendency to snap back up into the twine arms.

Latest posts