Vermeer roller bearings

Help Support CattleToday:

cattle60

Reaction score
Anyone know the trick to be able to get both sides of the bolts holding the rollers loose. Need to take out and replace the bearings before I get in the field. These are the rollers in the gate and above. I can get one loose but not the other side. Any way to hold it from turning?

Take the one you can get loose almost completely out, spray it with penetrating oil and then tighten back up as tight as you can get it. Then bust the other side loose with either a 3/4" ratchet or impact gun if need be. Then use the impact on the side you loosened up first.

Make sure whoever's catching the roll is ready for it, some of them have some weight to them.

For reference, the tensioner rolls come with red Loctite on them, some folks heat them to break it loose but I haven't found that to be necessary most of the time. Don't forget to put the Loctite back on when assembling.

Only able to work on two rollers, changing 5 out, so far but it definitely worked like you said. Thanks. I still don't exactly understand how that would stop it from turning like that though.

Once the first side is broken loose, there's no resistance to help you break the other side loose. The trick is tightening up that first side enough to break the second loose, and then being able to break the first side loose again. That's where the penetrating oil comes in - clear as mud?

Latest posts