Vermeer belts

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Ironpeddler (or anyone else) - Here's a vermeer question for you. I've got a 504L with the two wide and two narrow belts. I rip a lacing out of at least one belt every two to three thousand bales. I've had them all cut to same length, trued, tracked and I'm not making the bales excessively tight or tall. I even took the twist out of the center two belts to see if that would help. I change the splice wire every thousand bales or so and keep watch on it in the meantime.

Any ideas?

Thank You

cfpinz

cfpinz - I have no idea about Vermeer, or anything other than my own experience - but I am thinking 2 to 3 thousand bales and replace 1 splice... I would be calling that excellent results.

I would be loving that... :) But maybe mine is just that bad and I don't know any better :shock:

Michele

mitchwi - I did not mean for that to sound like I was complaining about the baler, it has given a lot of good service with very little problems. But when I first bought it I couldn't seem to keep those two smaller belts in it, relaced one or the other every 500 bales. After I had them all cut to the same length and relaced it seems to have slowed down some but after reading a post on another thread I was wondering if others would consider this excessive?

cfpinz

cfpinz":2z7249jm said:
I was wondering if others would consider this excessive?

cfpinz

I hear you... like I said I only have experience with our one and only round baler, and it is not a Vermeer. I would like to know also... good luck!

cfpinz":39i0vtr3 said:
Ironpeddler (or anyone else) - Here's a vermeer question for you. I've got a 504L with the two wide and two narrow belts. I rip a lacing out of at least one belt every two to three thousand bales. I've had them all cut to same length, trued, tracked and I'm not making the bales excessively tight or tall. I even took the twist out of the center two belts to see if that would help. I change the splice wire every thousand bales or so and keep watch on it in the meantime.

Any ideas?

Thank You

cfpinz

You have the choice of clipper # 4.5 lacing hooks or one of the plate style lacings like the Alligator Rivet. We have some operators that have their belts laced every 2,000- 3,000 bales and some that have them laced every 5,000-10,000 bales. It all depends on the operator and their conditions. Balers that bale in full baler width windrows tend to have less belt problems that the single 8-10' raked smaller windrows. Corn stalks, haylage and tractor HP are other factors in belt life. I'm not say you do this but I've seen customers baling 5.5' tall bales out of 5 x 4 balers. They have a large HP tractor and they push the baler beyond the designed bale height. Well guess what, they have belt and bearing problems and they just can not figure it out. Maybe they had an old Vermeer G series baler and when it was full the pickup stopped but now their new baler doesn't stop and they forget the baler is full because the radio is playing their tune. I can equate belt life to clutch or break pad life. Some people get never wear out a clutch and some people only get 30,000 miles from a clutch.

I have the old J-clip style, seen the Alligator type on the new M's. If I can get a few more years out of this baler I plan on trading it in on a 604M. I don't push the baler, have went over 5' a couple of times by accident and the belt tension arm will smack one of the top rollers. Use a v-rake set for full width but it hasn't been so "full" this year.

The only other trouble I've had out of the baler is it tends to roll the strings off of the left side (viewed from behind) of the bale and they fall off when you move them. Cost me a 4wd axle seal this past winter.

Thank You

cfpinz

Vermeer is introducing 2 new series of balers next week.
The Rebel 5410 and the M Classic series. You will see most of the M features on these balers. Look for Rebels to increase in price $1000-1500 over last year's balers. Now all Vermeer balers will have drop and go. No turning you PTO off, only if you want too. Rebels will have net wrap available as well. Still the same 40 HP minimum for dry hay on the Rebel 5410's.

cfpinz":xz1luvi1 said:
The only other trouble I've had out of the baler is it tends to roll the strings off of the left side (viewed from behind) of the bale and they fall off when you move them. Cost me a 4wd axle seal this past winter.

Thank You

cfpinz
I was having the same problem and found that if I stopped the pto during dumping, the string stayed on much better. Might not be your problem though.

Cabo":2muhdqxo said:
cfpinz":2muhdqxo said:

Thank You

cfpinz
I was having the same problem and found that if I stopped the pto during dumping, the string stayed on much better. Might not be your problem though.

Thanks for the thought, I have to cut mine off each time I dump, it doesn't have the drop'n go thingy.

cfpinz

Iron, what's the cheapest price you can get on the new Vermeer balers? I assume Rebel is the cheapest compared to the letter-series.

Latest posts