Vermeer 9 foot disc mower

Help Support CattleToday:

hayrack

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have one of these or know the good ,bad and ugly of one? I am going to have to get another mower this year and I am thinking I will look at these. I want one that will hold up for a very long time. I take care of my equipment and expect it to. Thanks.

We have one that we have used for 5 years. the only problems have been one u-joint and had to replace the bonnets when we wore holes in them. Liked it so much purchased a TM 800 in September.

Angus Cowman":u3h24kx0 said:
are you going with the three point hitch or the vermeer trail mower?

I would go with the trail mower you will like it alot better than the 3 point model and they are alot easier on your tractor also
I was going with the 3 point model. It will be on a 2955 JD and have been running a Kuhn 700 HD.

the vermeer is a good mower I just think after hooking and unhooking and pulling the trail mower you will never want a 3 pt again

also will cost a little more but will be worth more when you get rid of it also

I like the quick change system vermeer has on the blades all you need is the tool and a you just pop them off and pop a new one on

Angus Cowman":34sodyqk said:
the vermeer is a good mower I just think after hooking and unhooking and pulling the trail mower you will never want a 3 pt again

also will cost a little more but will be worth more when you get rid of it also

I like the quick change system vermeer has on the blades all you need is the tool and a you just pop them off and pop a new one on
I see what you are saying but I had a kuhn for 17 years and then this Kuhn since 2003 and I am pretty good at hooking up to them if they are unhooked right. I just want one that will last and dont think I want another fluid filled bar. Didnt have a bit of trouble out of the first one but this one has been a night mare. I have been a little leary of the shaft because I have heard of people twisting them and some act like it does not take much to do this. Is this correct?

hayrack":2pnibl9g said:
I have been a little leary of the shaft because I have heard of people twisting them and some act like it does not take much to do this. Is this correct?

I've got a Vermeer 7120 from the late 90's and you should see some of the dumb things I've done to it. Wrapped the cutterbar in high-tensile wire so tight it choked out a 90 horse tractor (slip clutch must be locked up). Jerked a 200lb+ slab of quartz out of the ground with it and hung a concrete curb so hard it slid the front of the tractor sideways, all without doing any major damage to the machine. So, yeah, I'd say it's pretty tough.

Knocked a plug out of the rubber rollers in mine and went to talk to the dealership about getting new ones. Vermeer's supplier for the rubber rolls was gone so they paid half the cost of converting my machine over to steel rolls, machine was 5 or 6 years old at the time. That's customer service.

We also have the Vermeer trail mower in the budget for this years major purchase. We have used the NH cutters and conditioners for years. Think there are 2 in the bone yard and 2 in use about to have a scrap iron fit. I tried a 3 point disc mower, was hard to hook up and would make the tractor slide down hill on steep slopes.

Try and find an 08 model. My dealer told me on the trailed mower 09's where going to have a $3k price increase. That was the reason for purchasing mine when I did.

Another brand to look at, would be New Idea,

We have two a 5209 9ft and a 5212 12ft, If they are taken care of by the book they are a very good machine. A friend has one that hadn't had very good care and had some trouble with it but ours have been great thus far. They havent had a real easy life either, They both have run over numerous stones eaten a few of them too :eek: and gotten wrapped up with baler twine, after cutting last years stack yard, and had larger tractors then nessessary pulling them. But with the proper care they just keep on ticking.

Adam

Latest posts