Vermeer 605K

Help Support CattleToday:

JRM

Reaction score
Just bought a vermeer 605 K at an auction. Gave 4900, looks pretty good. has one belt I am going to have to re lace.

Is there anything about these balers I need to know? Is there a big diifernce in how much the bales will weigh compared to what my 605 F makes? Will they bale milo stalks ok?
Have they been good balers? Pros and cons of these baler. What should I check on this baler.
Thanks
JM

JRM

I hear that the MF 1560 is the same as a 605F. Can you tell me the good and bad about this baler? this one has a hyd tie. It has not been used for the last 5 years so I plan an going through it real good. I got this one for $3000 sitting in a barn housing about 5 cats. thanks in advance

Sam

Triple L,
I have had good luck with my 605F. It still makes a tight bale, I have stuck my hand in bales I made with my 605F and compared it to other bales made with other newer balers and could not tell much diffference, but I do go slow when I am baling and others around me go as fast as they can.

Pros of it would be it is fairly simple to run and I have run it with a 60HP (IH 560 on propane) tractor though I use a 110 HP (IH 1066)tractor now. I can fix most things on it and I am not that great at repairing stuff.

One of my friends has one, he has had trouble with the tie system, allot of times he has to get off tractor to cut string. I think it is a setting issue though, but he claims he has adjusted it. The only thing I really had go wrong is bearings going out. The last time I had to replace a bearing, they told me they had a newer/better bearing now, and I not replaced a bearing in about 4 years which is a long time, I usually had one go out every year or every other year.

I have had problems baling milo stalks, but allot of people with other balers do also.

a few things I have learned, make sure you got all the pickup teeth, replace any broken ones, you be suprised how this makes a diffenrence. Also check the belts, if they are not setup the same lenght ( I beleive the outer 2 are 2 inches longer). if they are not all set like should be you be putting more stress on the shorter one and then be breaking belts more.
Bottom line this baler has done me well on and I bale on rough land. I wanted one a little newer and a little faster.
I would expect to replace a few bearing if it not been used in 5 years, sometimes I think no use is worse than being used. I used to use used oil on my chains, this year I am going to try chain lube, heard this lessens the fire danger in case of the triple sprocket bearing going out.
Also call Vermeer and get a manual
Fee free to ask any more questions etc. sorry for the long winded post

Latest posts