Vermeer 605 Super M

Help Support CattleToday:

Sage

Reaction score
What is everybodies thoughts on the new Super M. I have been needing(wanting) to upgarde balers for a couple years and think this might need to find a home here. The dealer is offering way to much trade in value on our old JD 535 and I hate the baler from day 1. I was pretty much sold on the Vermeer M but I can get into a new Super M for about $2000 more than a demo M.

Sage":9z5sof8a said:
What is everybodies thoughts on the new Super M. I have been needing(wanting) to upgarde balers for a couple years and think this might need to find a home here. The dealer is offering way to much trade in value on our old JD 535 and I hate the baler from day 1. I was pretty much sold on the Vermeer M but I can get into a new Super M for about $2000 more than a demo M.

Sage - if I was into Custom Baling and knew that I might get into some rough baling, I would get the Super M. It is advertised as being heavy duty which could pay off in fewer repairs and time savings. I like the hay moisture sensor that's built-in!!

"A new DUAL-STAGE BELT TIGHTENING system that reduces the size of the bale chamber for faster, more consistent starts
a DIRECT CROP FEED system that's simple, compact, direct and specifically designed and built for the serious hay producer.
an exclusive integrated and reinforced 5-BAR PICKUP with solid center spider support and heavy-duty RUBBER-MOUNTED TINES to improve pickup and lower replacement costs.

"the all-new VERMEER BALE EXPERT MONITOR... to give you more information, more control, more operating conveniences inside the cab, so now you really know what's happening. Load cells in the axles to hitch estimate real-time weight information.
Moisture sensors in the baler side panel discs report real-time hay moisture. Hi-resolution sensors on the belts for comprehensive bale shape and size feedback across the full width of the bale, not just on the corners. a hydraulically POWERED BALE RAMP system to prevent bales from rolling back until the baler takes off. " (from the Vermeer website)

Freind of mine sells vermeers and says they aren't the baler they were 5 yrs ago he actually likes my new holland better than the vermeers ,
Personally I don't know about the newer vermeers the older ones were great balers but I also don't have any complaints on my NH have ran 8300 bales thru it and no problems so far and it is 3 yrs old it is and never been in the shop it will make upto a 4x6 bale

I've got a 504L from 99, toughest baler I've ever used. Dad bought a new 554XL a couple years after I bought mine, neither one of us is impressed by it. Friend of mine bought a new 554XL 3 or 4 years ago, he hates that thing with a passion. I'm dying to try a 604M but haven't hit the lottery yet. Guess I better start playing.

cfpinz":42st5wmu said:
I've got a 504L from 99, toughest baler I've ever used. Dad bought a new 554XL a couple years after I bought mine, neither one of us is impressed by it. Friend of mine bought a new 554XL 3 or 4 years ago, he hates that thing with a passion. I'm dying to try a 604M but haven't hit the lottery yet. Guess I better start playing.
My friend said the L series was alot better than the ones you can buy now

Angus Cowman":2cubcnxx said:

I've never ran an M but the ones I've looked at were pretty impressive as far as chains, bearings and hardware. What does he not like about them? I'd love to keep my old L in the barn as an insurance policy if I ever do break down and buy a new one.

cfpinz":21ohmo29 said:
Angus Cowman":21ohmo29 said:

I've never ran an M but the ones I've looked at were pretty impressive as far as chains, bearings and hardware. What does he not like about them? I'd love to keep my old L in the barn as an insurance policy if I ever do break down and buy a new one.

he has just said he thinks they are more interested in selling parts than a quality product
said everyone he has sold he has had to work on before it had 1000 bales thru it

I was looking at one last yr and he said he wouldn't sell me one he said if a person was going to bale 500 bales a yr and trade it in when it was 5yrs old they would be ok but not they way I bale
I bale at least 2500 bales a yr

so that speaks volumes to me about his product and he has been selling vermeers for 18 yrs
i am not trying to downgrade vermeers just telling what I have been told by one of their dealers
Dad had a k series that was a great baler

We've been selling Vermeer balers since 1972. While everyone's baler today is better than those being sold 35 years ago some dealers do have problems with technology on today's balers. The monitors sold in the 1980's on all MFG's balers were nothing but a headache once they got a few years on them. Now today's balers have so many features that principal members of a dealership that are in their 50's and beyond just think changes causes problems. I also believe that all mfg's balers are round balers today than the balers manufactured 10 years ago. If the operator does not stay up with the technology, then to him, he thinks one model is not as good as a previous model. Most of the problems are caused when a dealer is not keeping up with the technology and does not teach the customer what features a machine has and how to use that machine. It is very easy to judge the Vermeer dealers against other Vermeer dealers. Master dealers and Platinum Master dealers just are better dealers than other Vermeer dealers because they are committed to be everything it takes to be a success. All dealers are not created equal. Term of service only has relevance if that dealer has been a large producer over a long period of time. The average dealer, all MFG's, sells 2-4 round balers each year. If a dealer is selling 2-4 balers in an average year, do you think he will be as much on his game as a dealer selling 25-50 round balers a year? Our selling average is over 50 New round balers a year for 35+ years. The average for Vermeer dealers is 4-10 balers a year. The average tractor dealer, all MFG's, sells 50-80 tractors a year. When you ask a business man what he likes the best, he usually will say the product he makes the most money on. If you go into a New Holland dealer and he sells both NH & Vermeer round balers you have to wonder why. Both are good produces. We all know major MFG's put pressure to sell their products first. You might want to ask that dealer why he sells both MFG's product?

I have physically been in thousand of dealerships, when you ask the average dealer what is the best product, I tend to believe 50% of them will say whatever product they currently have in stock. This means you had better do your home work and purchase the product that meets your needs. Perception of the operator is usually all the facts he knows and cares about. I can not tell how many time a customer comes in wanting to trade a piece of machinery because it is not working correctly and all that was wrong was it was assembled incorrectly. I see this in all types of equipment. Twenty years ago there was big differences in MFG's product. There are still some differences but most all of the work fine for their intended use. It is simple, if you have a products that is working fine in you neighbors field and not working correctly in your field then it is either in the operator's control or in the tractor or the implement or all the above. Identify what is going wrong and then you can start to solve your problems. A good dealer will identify what is going wrong and work with you to solve your problem. Selling you a different product can be a solution but should be you choice not the dealers choice. Now if you are using that machine in an non-intended use then we are back to the operator's fault not the implement.

Took the plunge and signing the papers for a Super M. Can't hardly afford not to go new with the finacing and trade in, 0% for 3yrs or 2.99% for 5 plus they discounted the price $1000 as if bought outright. In the end I'm looing at a new Vermeer Super M for $30,900. Just started feeding and already looking foreward to haying again. :cboy:

ironpeddler":3rmoirdg said:
We've been selling Vermeer balers since 1972. While everyone's baler today is better than those being sold 35 years ago some dealers do have problems with technology on today's balers. The monitors sold in the 1980's on all MFG's balers were nothing but a headache once they got a few years on them. Now today's balers have so many features that principal members of a dealership that are in their 50's and beyond just think changes causes problems. I also believe that all mfg's balers are round balers today than the balers manufactured 10 years ago. If the operator does not stay up with the technology, then to him, he thinks one model is not as good as a previous model. Most of the problems are caused when a dealer is not keeping up with the technology and does not teach the customer what features a machine has and how to use that machine. It is very easy to judge the Vermeer dealers against other Vermeer dealers. Master dealers and Platinum Master dealers just are better dealers than other Vermeer dealers because they are committed to be everything it takes to be a success. All dealers are not created equal. Term of service only has relevance if that dealer has been a large producer over a long period of time. The average dealer, all MFG's, sells 2-4 round balers each year. If a dealer is selling 2-4 balers in an average year, do you think he will be as much on his game as a dealer selling 25-50 round balers a year? Our selling average is over 50 New round balers a year for 35+ years. The average for Vermeer dealers is 4-10 balers a year. The average tractor dealer, all MFG's, sells 50-80 tractors a year. When you ask a business man what he likes the best, he usually will say the product he makes the most money on. If you go into a New Holland dealer and he sells both NH & Vermeer round balers you have to wonder why. Both are good produces. We all know major MFG's put pressure to sell their products first. You might want to ask that dealer why he sells both MFG's product?

I have physically been in thousand of dealerships, when you ask the average dealer what is the best product, I tend to believe 50% of them will say whatever product they currently have in stock. This means you had better do your home work and purchase the product that meets your needs. Perception of the operator is usually all the facts he knows and cares about. I can not tell how many time a customer comes in wanting to trade a piece of machinery because it is not working correctly and all that was wrong was it was assembled incorrectly. I see this in all types of equipment. Twenty years ago there was big differences in MFG's product. There are still some differences but most all of the work fine for their intended use. It is simple, if you have a products that is working fine in you neighbors field and not working correctly in your field then it is either in the operator's control or in the tractor or the implement or all the above. Identify what is going wrong and then you can start to solve your problems. A good dealer will identify what is going wrong and work with you to solve your problem. Selling you a different product can be a solution but should be you choice not the dealers choice. Now if you are using that machine in an non-intended use then we are back to the operator's fault not the implement.
the dealer I was talking about is a good friend of mine and he only sells Vermeer balers so it wasn't a conflict of him trying to sell me a NH over a Vermeer he was telling me I wouldn't be happy with the vermeer
He values our friendship more than a sale and he sells 15-25 balers a yr

Sage":3loq5mp2 said:
Took the plunge and signing the papers for a Super M. Can't hardly afford not to go new with the finacing and trade in, 0% for 3yrs or 2.99% for 5 plus they discounted the price $1000 as if bought outright. In the end I'm looing at a new Vermeer Super M for $30,900. Just started feeding and already looking foreward to haying again. :cboy:

Best of luck with your new baler, please let me know how you like it next year at this time.

I've only had experience with NH square balers, I think ours is a 285 with a wisconsin engine... it's built like a brick s**thouse, the only luxury on it is the hydraulic tensioner, we did the math on how many bales we think it has baled.. we figure about 750,000.. (that's the equivalent of a bale over 500 miles long) the ceramic eyelets for the twine had to be rotated since they were worn in about 1/8th of an inch, as well as anything else that touched the twine.. It misses a knot about once every 1000, and some of that may just be too much bale tension.. when I look at newer models (ours is about 1964), they just aren't a shade of the quality... ours needs some TLC, and will probably get a plunger bearing overhaul next winter

Latest posts