Vermeer 5410 Rebel or New Holland BR740

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Thinking of trading up to a newer hay roller which one would you choice? I currently have a older i series vermeer. There are good dealers locally for both brands. I will be pulling it with a 6610 ford and a lot of my hay ground is steep I have always heard Vermeers are easyier to pull?

pricefarm":sn5d0c3u said:
Thinking of trading up to a newer hay roller which one would you choice? I currently have a older i series vermeer. There are good dealers locally for both brands. I will be pulling it with a 6610 ford and a lot of my hay ground is steep I have always heard Vermeers are easyier to pull?

I have no experience with either but I have always been partial to NH haying equip

I am in the process of buying a nh 740. I havent personally ran one but have a neighbor who bought a 740a last year and he is real pleased with it. I looked at the vermeer when shopping and it looks like a good machine. One thing i like about the nh over the verneer is the nh has a wider pickup and from my understanding thats not a option on a rebel. Im hoping to get mine picked up this week, it was used with around 10,000 rolls on it and had to have a few things fixed on it. One thing to check on the nh is the sledge roller frame, the belts tend to track to one side or the other and wear against it and over time itll wear it in half. Everything i read said the fix for this was to weld the groove and sand it back smooth, sounds crazy i know but thats what nh recommends that from my understanding.

pricefarm":11l6nbkq said:

One of the best decisions that we have made for equipment was buying a Vermeer 2009 5410 baler. We have a Ford 3230 (38 hp) and found this baler to be easier on our tractor than a Heston 530. Good and tight bales, easy for maintenance, and will swallow up the hay like a catfish. We use plastic twine and run a 4x5 bale setting. It has the bigger floatation tires as well. Digital Monitor for controls
Only drawback is that we do not have the netwrap attachment.
Also you can register your used equipment with Vermeer and they will send you the factory manuals (operators, parts, and maintenance) FREE.
With our small tractor the we do have to drop down to low gear on hills going up but as with any baler always use extreme caution when going down a hill.
It took a while to convince my dad but he loves it, will not let me bale, says it is his to run. :)

I haven't baled with one, but see a lot of Rebel balers in my area being pulled with lower hp tractors, and we have some pretty hilly ground. We're hoping to trade for one in the next couple years. Don't see him post on here anymore , but ironpeddler was very knowledgeable about the different balers. He was based in our area around Johnson City.

A.J.":1ugqii0w said:
I haven't baled with one, but see a lot of Rebel balers in my area being pulled with lower hp tractors, and we have some pretty hilly ground. We're hoping to trade for one in the next couple years. Don't see him post on here anymore , but ironpeddler was very knowledgeable about the different balers. He was based in our area around Johnson City.

They market the Vermeer.

denvermartinfarms":c7v6ggav said:
New holland all the way, in my opinion your looking at the best and one of the worst brands in balers.

What do u not like about the Vermeers ?

We made a deal on a new 605N yesterday, and I am looking forward to using it. Everything on these balers is heavier and stronger looking than any other brand. Anyone I know who switched to one is very glad they did, although I know there were problems with the earlier 605M in the bearing department.
We've had JD's up until now and in fact are keeping them. Great balers really but getting older now so will do backup duty. The New Hollands don't interest me in the least. Looks like they take great pains to complicate every aspect of the design. I know there's lots of them out there, so I guess they work. Neighbours had a bearing go out on their NH and the shop time to fix it was over 20 hrs. Plus the darned thing was constantly plugging up from day one, although last fall the dealer finally figured out what was wrong.

My biggest beef with the Rebel is no bale shape indicators. I watched a hay demo with one about a year ago I asked the Rep. about it and his answer was, "make your windrows right and you don't need able shape indicators". I'm like well if that's the case why put them on the 604N and up Vermeers.

Silver":25uidazu said:
We made a deal on a new 605N yesterday, and I am looking forward to using it. Everything on these balers is heavier and stronger looking than any other brand. Anyone I know who switched to one is very glad they did, although I know there were problems with the earlier 605M in the bearing department.
We've had JD's up until now and in fact are keeping them. Great balers really but getting older now so will do backup duty. The New Hollands don't interest me in the least. Looks like they take great pains to complicate every aspect of the design. I know there's lots of them out there, so I guess they work. Neighbours had a bearing go out on their NH and the shop time to fix it was over 20 hrs. Plus the darned thing was constantly plugging up from day one, although last fall the dealer finally figured out what was wrong.

Check out a Kuhn and you will change your mind.

SuperHerefords":12ofh8dn said:
My biggest beef with the Rebel is no bale shape indicators. I watched a hay demo with one about a year ago I asked the Rep. about it and his answer was, "make your windrows right and you don't need able shape indicators". I'm like well if that's the case why put them on the 604N and up Vermeers.

The Rebel Expert Monitor does indicate right/left bale shape. I have the 5410 and it's been an excellent baler for my purposes. It is an entry level baler and does not handle wet stuff or wet ground very well. I noticed New Holland now has a similar baler and it will be interesting to see how it works out. Nothing wrong with either baler in my opinion.

My biggest beef, i don't know if it's our baler or rake, but in thinner hay, and we do not have a center wheel on rake, our vermeer 5420 baler will not pick up the center, very bottom of the window. Only in thin hay cause thicker will bind together and helps the baler pick it up. Any suggestions?

I have a Vermeer 545XL, I think it's 2005. Works good for me. I just set the discbine for the right width.

denvermartinfarms":1nabxchu said:
New holland all the way, in my opinion your looking at the best and one of the worst brands in balers.
I agree n the est and worst but I reverse whic on I think is the best. I like my Vermeer ut it is the heavier silage model. 504M Silage. I just drive and it does the rest until its ready to dump and then it tells me its time.

kenny thomas":381dqw1h said:
denvermartinfarms":381dqw1h said:
I agree n the est and worst but I reverse whic on I think is the best. I like my Vermeer ut it is the heavier silage model. 504M Silage. I just drive and it does the rest until its ready to dump and then it tells me its time.
Same here.
Not many red round balers around here any more. Still some square balers seen though most have gone to inline balers for squares.
New Holland makes a nice round baler. If a person is shopping with both eyes open the Vermeer baler is the better of the two.

I have a 5410 have baled with it for the last three years. When you are running and ever thing is working and all of the sudden it will start balling up and not take hay you will need to stop and figure out what bearing has failed. Bearings are stock bearing and the Vermeer brand will cost about the same as a bearing at the bearing store. Change bearing and start baling again that simple.

I run a New Holland BR780 with my 6610 New holland tractor on really steep hills for a year and it didn't quite have enough power, but I think your tractor would handle a 740 pretty easy.
I ended up putting a turbo on my tractor and now it handles the 780 no problem.

poorfarmer":1l81sjzk said:
I run a New Holland BR780 with my 6610 New holland tractor on really steep hills for a year and it didn't quite have enough power, but I think your tractor would handle a 740 pretty easy.
I ended up putting a turbo on my tractor and now it handles the 780 no problem.

I tried to put a turbo on my JD tractor 5210 as the next size up with the same engine has a turbo. I found out the turboed tractor had different pistons and the rods and pins from the crank to the piston were bigger, so I passed.

Latest posts